Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Yogurt Cheese Spread

I found a simple recipe where you can make yogurt into a spreadable, cream cheese-like substance.    You're supposed to use full fat yogurt, but nowadays, it's really hard to find full fat yogurt.  I ended up getting some greek yogurt that didn't say one way or the other.   So, we'll see how it works.  Here's what you'll need...
Ingredients/Supplies:
1C Full Fat Plain Yogurt (make sure it's not Vanilla)
1/8t Salt
1/8t Pepper
1 Clove Garlic, grated

Cheesecloth (2 layers)
Small Strainer
Microplane or Garlic Press

First, mix your yogurt, salt, pepper and grated garlic together.
Stir to combine.
Line a small strainer with 2 layers of cheese cloth.
(Next time, I'll cut mine a little wider)
Place on top of a measuring cup so it will drain.
Scoop your mixture into the center of the cloth.
 Fold cheese cloth over to cover top of yogurt.  Do not squeeze
or press unless you want a gooey mess oozing out the sides.
Place whole apparatus in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 days.
The liquids will drain into the cup below.
Here's what I have after 1 day....not a lot.
It's still in my fridge and I think maybe one more drop has come
on day two.  I'm thinking maybe the greek yogurt is too thick.
Here's what it ended up looking like...

Notes and what I have learned:
Well, it appears that my yogurt was not full fat yogurt because the texture at the end wasn't so much creamy as it was gelatinous, which is typical of low fat/no fat items.  

The taste was pretty good, actually.  If you really love garlic, use the whole clove.  If you don't want it to be over powering, use 1/2 clove.

Would I make it again?  Sure, but only if I had full fat yogurt.  I can see where the texture could be off-putting to some people.
I'm thinking some kind of herb mixture or chives would be great in this!

If you make this recipe yourself (with full fat yogurt, that is), let me know what you think.

{Printer Friendly Version}

1 comment:

  1. Greek yogurt must not have as much whey as the regular kind does. Will wait to see what you have to say about this.

    ReplyDelete