Thursday, June 16, 2011

Sloppy Joes from scratch...almost!

I made sloppy joes the other night for dinner.  They're really tasty and easy to make from scratch, so I can never understand why people use the canned stuff.  Not to mention, I hate the taste of the canned stuff.  Here's how I make mine...
Ingredients:
1 Lb Ground Beef  (I use my already cooked/seasoned/frozen stash)
2 (8oz) cans tomato sauce
Hamburger Buns (or homemade rolls as I used)
2T Ketchup
1t Mustard
2 shakes Worcestershire Sauce
2-4T Brown Sugar (depending on desired sweetness)
Pepper
1/2-1t Chili Powder
1 Packet Onion Soup Mix (or homemade mix below)
Makes 8 healthy portions.

Empty the two cans of tomato sauce into the pan.
(Note: if you do not have hamburger cooked and frozen
as I do, you would brown your beef first, drain, then add the following)
Dump in your packet of onion soup mix.*
Next, add in a couple of tablespoons of ketchup.**
I was sure to have my $1.29 sticker show in the picture!
I was so excited about that!  BTW, off brand
is just as good at the high dollar stuff!  Trust me, it is!
Add in about 1t mustard. 
A couple of shakes of Worcestershire. 
Add in brown sugar.***
Add in Chili Powder.**** 
Add in a few grinds of black pepper.*****
Stir to combine.
You probably cooked your hamburger at the beginning, 
but this is where I will add my frozen stash.
Stir to combine, cover and cook over medium until heated through.
If you have time and are making other things, you can let
it simmer a little longer and it just gets tastier and thicker.
Serve up on a homemade bun (recipe HERE) and you have
a super quick meal without the can or preservatives.
Okay, maybe the sauces have some in there, but it's gotta
be better than a can of  Manwich goo.  :)
Doesn't that look yummy?  It was!
Notes:
*Onion Soup Mix:  As I was pouring this onion soup packet in, I thought....wait a minute!  This is basically just dehydrated onions and beef bouillon!  I can make that!  So I did for the next time! See that recipe HERE.  It costs pennies!

**Ketchup:  I got to thinking...Okay, I have 2 cans of tomato sauce in here!  Is ketchup realllllly necessary? 
Probably not.  Next time, I'll leave it out and see how it tastes.

***Brown Sugar:  I put in two Tablespoons when I took the picture.  After tasting, I decided it wasn't sweet 
enough, so I added two more.  We like ours on the sweet side.

****Chili Powder:  I used 1 1/2t in this recipe, but have edited the ingredient list to show 1/2t to 1t.  The 
1 1/2t was just too much. See, I don't normally measure when I do this.  I just shake it over the whole thing and taste it occasionally.  I'm sure this is sounding like the worst recipe ever.  Here's what you do....but then I changed everything, LOL! 

*****Black Pepper:  I seldom use the powdery kind anymore unless it's called for in a recipe where larger
pieces of the ground kind just won't work.  There really is no comparison to the ground stuff though.  You can get a pre-filled, disposable grinder at Aldi's for 99c every day!

These taste even better the next day.  According to my calculations and the products I buy and make, the entire batch of EIGHT sloppy joes comes to $3.97, including the homemade buns they're on.  That's less than 50c EACH!  That's a pretty cheap sammy!  With the chips and the salad, the whole meal per person came in at around .85 CENTS! That's one cheap dinner!

1 comment: