Thursday, June 16, 2011

Homemade Onion Soup Mix

As I was pouring the last packet of Onion Soup Mix into my sloppy joes the other day, I thought....Now, wait a minute!  This is just dried onion flakes and bouillon for the most part!  I can make this and save money!  So I did!  Here's what you need:
 Ingredients: 
3T Minced, dried onion flakes that expired in 2004.  (No, really!)
1T + 1t Beef Bouillon
1t Onion Powder
In a small bowl, mix all ingredients together.
I figured you didn't need a picture of me doing that.
Pour onto a piece of doubled over tinfoil.*
Fold up like a little tamale and place in a baggie. 
Label the baggie (unlike mine in the picture) 
with the date and contents.  
Notes:
*Packaging:  At this point, you could separate it into two separate foil packs.  This recipe equates to two store bought packets.  If keeping in one packet like I did, you'll just measure out 2 heaping Tablespoons into your recipe to equate to one package of store bought.  Or, eyeball it and dump what looks like half, like I would.

This whole recipe costs .26c.  That's .13c per packet, which is about 1/4 the price of the store bought.  I'd say that's worth the (miniscule) hassle of making it yourself!

{Printer Friendly Version}

1 comment:

  1. Good to know! Liking all of your tips and recipes, keep them coming :) !

    ReplyDelete