Sunday, June 19, 2011

Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs Every Time

A long time ago, I came across an article that taught people how to make a hard boiled egg.  Seems easy enough, right?  But did you know....in the culinary world, the egg is the hardest dish to perfect?   I didn't know that until I planted my butt firmly in front of the tv every night to watch hour after hour of Food Network! Here's how I make mine....

Place your eggs in a pot, covering with water.
Place a lid on top and turn on your heat. Wait for eggs to come to a boil.  
The moment they come to a rolling boil, pull them off the burner and 
set a timer for exactly 13 minutes. Leave sitting, lid on, undisturbed.
When the timer goes off, take the lid off and run the eggs under cold water.
At this point, you could add them to potato salad as I did below.
See how pretty and yellow those yolks are?!
Or you could place them in the fridge to eat with lunch.  
Or make egg salad or deviled eggs.

Notes:
These eggs turn out perfectly every time.  They have a nice, bright yellow color without any of that gross, stinky green yolk you get from over cooking them.

Hard boiled eggs will last in the fridge for approximately one week.  After that, discard or feed to your dog and live with the nightmarish consequences.

Having a hard time telling your hard boiled eggs from your raw eggs?  Throw a small piece of the (papery) peel from an onion in while you're boiling them.  The hard boiled ones are a very light shade of beige.

{Printer Friendly Version}

2 comments:

  1. I will try this the next time I boil eggs. I just put a "HB" on my hard boiled eggshells to tell the difference. Great tip!

    ReplyDelete