Thursday, June 23, 2011

Quick and easy way to cut costs

We buy dog biscuits at Aldi.  They used to be a dollar for a big 26oz box.  (Enough to fill the large container below one and a quarter times)  Super cheap.  They've gone up to $1.29.  Still cheap in comparison with the big brand names that my dog won't even eat!  She loves these Shep brand biscuits.  Because she's a Sooner hound (she'd sooner go pee on the carpet than outside), we always reward her with a treat when she comes back in from going potty. 

For a while now, I have been breaking the biscuits when she comes in, giving her only a half.  Since my brain has been on cutting costs so much lately, I thought...well, certainly she won't know the difference if she gets an even smaller portion, right?
Of course, this is the dog that would scratch at the door to go out, walk down the steps, stand there for a minute on the patio, then come back to retrieve a treat, all the while having us think she actually went pee!  So she's not as dumb as we once thought!  LOL!  I finally caught on to that one!  I decided I'd break the biscuit into 4 portions and see if she noticed.  How can you tell if a dog notices?  I dunno.  I guess I was thinking maybe she'd still be jumping up looking for more, growl at me, bite me, or maybe poo in my shoe that night.
She comes in, I give her the small treat and shut the lid.  She jumps down, eats it and walks away!  Success!  Now my dog biscuits go 4 times as far as they used to!  I've finally broken Tommy from grabbing 3 or 4 and throwing them across the room, creating a trail of goodies for "The Sis".  (aka a trail of pointy little treat daggers that hurt like the dickens when you step on them!)  Aye Chihuahua!  Ha ha ha, dog pun intended!

There are 86 biscuits in the 26oz box.  That means a whole one is only 1 1/2 cents.  When I break it into fours, it's less than 1/2 cent (.00375) per biscuit piece!  That's insanely cheap!  And no poo in my shoe.  Goooood Guuuurrrl!

{Printer Friendly Version}

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Sissy is too cute! And so white too!! We do that with our dogs, break all treats in half, but I'm a mean doggie mom, they only get a treat after the last pee for the night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, she is a cutie. Usually. You ARE a mean mommy, LOL! Poor, deprived, neglected and abused puppy dawgs, LOL! ;)

    ReplyDelete