Saturday, June 25, 2011

Homemade waffles

I don't buy frozen waffles.  They're just not my thing and they taste like cardboard.  Tommy asked me if we could make some and I thought....ugh. It's so tiiiime-consuming and messsssssyyyyyyy!  But, OKAY!  I'm a nice mommy like that.

Mmmmmmmm, waffles!
Here's the ingredients you'll need.

Ingredients:
1 3/4C Flour
1T Sugar
2t Baking Powder
1/2t Salt
3 Egg Yolks, beaten
1 1/2C Milk
1/2C Vegetable Oil
3 Egg Whites, beaten stiff  (whoever came up with this recipe is apparently an egg abuser!  Sheesh!)
Start with your dry ingredients.
Measure out your flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a 
large bowl.  Mine has a spout, but that isn't necessary.  Give it a stir.
Then onto the wet ingredients.  Measure out your milk first.
Have a bowl standing by because you are now going to separate your eggs.
Your whites will stay in the bowl.
But the yolks will get dropped into the measuring cup with the milk.
See why it was important to measure that first?  Good girl.
Here's where you'll gently beat or whisk your eggs. 
Pour this into your dry ingredients.
And give it a stir.
Next, add your vegetable oil to the bowl.
Start stirring, then pause to realize just how fattening these are
when you notice the yet to be incorporated oil slick on the sides!
Quickly dismiss that thought, then stir until well combined. Set aside.
Next we'll move on to the egg whites.  I've heard the only true way to
get the perfect stiff peak is to use a chilled aluminum bowl, but I don't 
care about perfection or I wouldn't look the way I do, now would I?
We're using glass!  I set my beaters to high and let 'er rip!
After a couple of minutes, you have this! Good enough for me!
Now, I should tell you that the instructions said to plug in the iron
ahead of time to preheat it.  Not knowing how long it would take
me to make these, I didn't want it sitting there smoking and setting
off the fire alarms.  Not that that's ever happened to me.  Moving on...
Working in two batches, gently fold your egg whites into your batter.
I said GENTLY!
After folding over and over (and over) and still having large clumps, you may
just get a little disgusted like I did and just stir the stupid thing, smashing the
egg white clumps from hell against the side of the darn bowl!
Ending up with this.  Innit purdy?  (she said sweetly)
Now that my batter was ready, I felt confident I could oil up my iron.
I used a little over a tablespoon, using more than I probably should
have because I recall the last (and only) time I used this machine and
everything stuck to it.  That's what I got for using Bisquick!
I know....my iron looks like it's a throwback from the 70's.  It actually
isn't.  I got it from my friend Cheri for our wedding, a mere 9+ year ago.
Some days it just feels like I've been married since the 70's, LOL!  
Just kidding, honey. That's a little test to see if you're REALLY 
following my blog like you say you are.  (I can say with confidence he is not)
 If you're lucky enough to have a set of measuring cups with a 3/4C
scoop like me, this will be easy.  If not, you do the math.
This recipe calls for 1 1/2C of batter for my particular iron.
Being the math whiz that I am, this means two of these scoops!
Somebody call Mensa...this girl's a genius!
The instructions say to put the batter on the iron in an X pattern.
Okay, one scoop one way.  One scoop the other way.
Gently shut the lid and wait for it to quit steaming.  It says the little
green light will go on when it's done, but mine lit up too early.
They needed a little more time.  Oops.  Not quite enough batter!
So much for accurate measurements.  Could have something 
to do with me not folding the egg whites nicely.  Dudn't bother me!
On the next batch, I added a little more, but then this happened.
 That's okay.  They still tasted good!  Just ask Tommy!
I continued on to make the rest.  I then broke them apart
and set them on a cooling rack.
Let's not talk about all the awkward shapes.  
These tasted darn good, regardless of outward appearance.
I then placed them in a baggie and dated them.  I threw
them in the freezer, hoping maybe we can actually put
them in the toaster and see what happens!

Notes:
These were sooooo good!  Way better than any waffle I've had anywhere!  I never knew making them at home could taste that much better!

It was a little time consuming mostly because I was following the recipe so closely, making sure I didn't do anything wrong. (Taking pictures of everything didn't help either, lol!)  Now that I've done it once, I anticipate easily making these over and over again!

These waffles came to 82 CENTS total!  For 16 waffles! I just can't believe that.  I'm fairly certain a box of 8 at the store costs about $3. Of course, I haven't bought them in so long, I wouldn't know for sure, but still!  FIVE cents per waffle...that's crazy cheap!  If you hork down 4 (like Tommy and I did this morning) and add 1t butter and a good heaping helping of the homemade syrup, it only comes to .28 cents for a huge breakfast!

Toaster Update:
I tried a couple this morning in the toaster.  When I took them out of the freezer, they felt a little different than the store bought ones because they're not coated in grease.  I popped them in and they fit perfectly!  I set my dial to 4.
The result was a nice, hot, toasty waffle that tasted wayyyy better than any store bought waffle.  It tasted not quite as good as the day before simply because it wasn't hot off the waffle iron, but it was darn close!  I was happy to find that the syrup thickened up a bit overnight in the fridge.  I'm wondering if I can add a little bit of corn starch at the beginning of the recipe next time and see what happens.  But that's an experiment for another day!

Why not try them yourself and let me know what you think!

Recipe courtesy of the Toastmaster waffle iron owner's manual.  :)
{Printer Friendly Version}

2 comments:

  1. YUM...those look good, will have to try this some night for supper! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh yea! That's the GOOD waffle recipe. The first time I made waffles using that recipe, I was amazed at how light and delicious they are. Definitely a keeper, and a money saver, too! I'll have to remember your tip on making an X with the batter when placing it in the waffle iron. I can never seem to get the amount just right and they're either missing corners, or the batter cooks out the edges. No matter, though. They're still delicious.

    ReplyDelete