Friday, June 24, 2011

Pigs in a blanket

Never did I think...Gee, I think we need to incorporate more hot dogs into our diet!  But since I'm on a cost-cutting mission, it's a cheap way to eat!  I wait for the dogs to go on sale for 99 cents, (preferably Oscar Mayer) then stock up. Maybe I should write a book on a 100 creative ways to have hot dogs for dinner, LOL!  Here's what you need to make these:
Ingredients:
8 Hot Dogs
2 slices American Cheese
Roll/Bun dough (Recipe HERE)

Remember the dough I saved from the rolls I made the other day?  I'm going to put that to use today by making pigs in a blanket.  The first thing you need to do is prep your dogs.  Take them out of the package and blot them dry with a paper towel.  Using a butter knife, cut a slit thru the middle of the dog.
Cut each piece of cheese into 4 strips.
Stuff a piece of cheese into the slit you made.
Now prep your dough.  Unwrap and place on floured surface.
With a floured rolling pin, roll out into as close to a circle shape as you can.
Using a pizza cutter, cut into 8 triangles.
Place your cheese-stuffed dog on the wide end of the dough triangle.
Wrap tightly, rolling toward the point.  Continue with remaining dogs.
Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.  Pop into a 350 oven
and bake for 10-12 minutes.  (Your oven may vary...just watch them)
I'm baking half now and freezing half for later. 
Be careful, these babies are HOT inside!  The whole meal you see
below cost only THIRTY ONE cents!
For freezing the rest, here's what I did.  I placed the remaining dogs 
on a plate lined with waxed paper.  Put in freezer until they are frozen 
solid.  Then you can take the plate out and stash the bag into a 
corner of your freezer without worrying about them sticking together. 
Notes:
The bread on these was so cheap because I stashed 4 pieces of roll dough away the other day.  You just need to wrap it in cellophane and put in the fridge before the 2nd rise. One of those rolls costs 6 cents, but since I made 4 rolls into 8 wraps, these are now only 3 cents each! 

1 comment:

  1. I use to make these when the girls were younger and they love them. Of course, I didn't make my own crescent rolls like you, me bad! They look yummy!

    ReplyDelete