Friday, June 3, 2011

Cheap Homemade Stove Top Cleaner!

Remember the other day when I told you I was using a grill pan on top of my glass stove?  While it worked 'okayyyyy' for the pancakes, it did leave my stove a bit of a burned-looking mess.  See the scorch marks?
While I'd normally clean it up with a cleaner called Cerama-Bryte, I got to looking at this price tag of $4.98 and thought...Wow!  That's really expensive, even if it does last a long time. 
I bet I could make some of my own cleaner for pennies. 

So I did!  I mixed 1T Table Salt and 1T Baking Soda 
together in a small dish, all the while wondering if the salt
would scratch my glass stove top.
Then I added in 1T Water.  
I just used a regular table spoon, like you'd serve food with. 
No need to get technical in this case.  
I mixed it around to create a paste, then dipped in a damp sponge to clean my stove.
It worked!  No scratches, just pretty and shiny!
I just had to wipe it down with water afterward and dry it off!
Innit purdy?
Ingredients:
1T Table Salt
1T Baking Soda
1T Water

Notes and what I learned:
I learned you probably shouldn't use a grill pan on a glass top stove.  Ya never know.  It could get so hot it could break it.  Not to mention if you accidentally dropped the pan on it!  Yikes!

While I really like the CeramaBryte and will use it until it's gone, it sure seems silly now to pay $5 ever again!
And in all reality, I really do think that I did a heckuva lot less scrubbing than when I used the CeramaBryte!   I was surprised at how easily everything came off!  Just goes to show you, expensive isn't always better!

I like that I can use stuff I just have in my cupboards all the time.  No harmful chemicals either!

Looking back, if I was only going to clean my stove, I probably could have gotten by with using one TEASPOON of each ingredient.  I had a lot left over!  Should have scoured my sink with it!

Update:  A couple of weeks later, I was in a hurry and just sprinkled some baking soda on top of the (glass top) stove and used a wet sponge to work it around.  It worked just as well as the above cleaner!

{Printer Friendly Version}

17 comments:

  1. This is a great tip, will try it the next time I use my stove, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you think this would work on stainless steel stove top?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welllllll, I'm not really sure if the salt is good for stainless steel, but you certainly could use the baking soda and water. You might find it leaves behind a bit of a powder because stainless seems to have those little grooves throughout. I would probably wipe it down well with water afterward, then spray clean with some of my homemade windex, which is under Cleaning Products up above. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. WOW...I am shocked at how well this worked. Mine is a complete black glass top, and it cleaned wonderfully!!...and mine was very very very dirty as I have been without cleaner for a while!..I did have to put a little muscle in since it was sooooo dirty with gunk and I couldn't find my scraper, but it came clean. I had to make two batches and you have to wipe extremely well with water afterwards or between cleaning since I had to do it twice! It hasn't looked this wonderful in months..thanks OP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Single edge razor works great for the tougher stuff. No scratching as long as you angle it.

      Delete
  4. So glad it worked for you! A scrubby sponge helps. Thanks for stopping by, Meg!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tip. I'll use it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This does work on ceramic topped stoves. Another trick I used on a stovetop in our rental is: poor enough warm water to cover burners..sprinkle baking soda on burners..turn them on low, but warm enough to eventually get a low boil...just the way you clean a pan that has burned on food. You may have to repeat, but it will loosen crud that can then be cleaned off with a paint razor when it cools a bit(they gave us one with our new stove) polished with baking soda paste, then wipe clean with vinegar. It really is better to keep it up, then to let it build up! Be sure to take a lint free kitchen towel to dry stovetop completely and like you would a mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  7. After cooking, I sprinkle some baking soda over the hot top and put a sopping wet cloth over it all. After I finish cleaning the rest of the kitchen, I wipe off the baking soda and that stove top is like NEW! No salt and NO scrubbing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have used this same formula on my cook top & it still takes some scrubbing to get everything off but at least it's a lot cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Malika Said: so happy to find you. So happy to join. I have shared my own frugal the way grandma did it recipes.However, I love you blog so much that I want to write a review, today. since I don't know everything and families do get stressed over messes they can't clean, I love to share resources. WOW! you are a great resource.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anne said:

    I am so grateful for your tip on cleaning stove tops. My stove top was badly stained by burned on “something” after I cooked dinner the other night. I tried everything in my cleaning cabinet to no avail; nothing even put a dent in that stain.

    I just finished cleaning the stove top with your tip: 1 T Salt, 1T Baking Soda, 1T Water – what a great cleaner that is! My stove top looks brand new.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad it worked for you! Thank you for taking the time to let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you happen to know how to get a cookie sheet that has burnt on wing sauce (we have scoured it a million times and now we have given up. Would this mixture work on my cookie sheet?

    ReplyDelete