Saturday, June 18, 2011

Fool Aid

Nope, that's not a typo!  I've dubbed this Fool Aid because neither my husband nor son can tell the difference! What I do isn't all that terribly ingenious, but it makes me happy to save money and to serve less sugar.  Here's how you make it...

Take your normal Kool Aid/Drink Mix fixins, but...fill the water to 2 1/2 quarts rather than two.
See the line?  That's where I'm supposed to fill it. Instead, I fill it at least 1/2 a quart more.
Then, I add in only 2/3C sugar rather than a full cup. This not only 
saves money, but it puts less sugar in my boys.  Apparently, they're sweet enough!  :)
Then, when I'm done mixing it all together, I sometimes even add a little 
more water so it comes up almost to the spout.  They cannot tell the difference!
They just taste fruity, sweet drink mix.  Ha ha ha ha!


Notes:
I had been buying drink mixes such as Wylers at Dollar General and Splash at Hy Vee for 10 for a dollar.  This is about half the price of Kool Aid.  Then I discovered that Aldi has a TWELVE pack of drink mix for .89 CENTS!  That's only 7 cents a pack.  Woo Hoo!
When I add my 2/3C of sugar and extra water, I've created 80 ounces of drink mix for .27 CENTS!  That makes TEN 8 ounce servings at just 2.7c each.  I only give Tommy a maximum of 4 to 6 ounces a day, so that's 1 1/2 to 2 cents per serving! Now, that's cheap!

{Printer Friendly Version}

1 comment: