Monday, June 27, 2011

Homemade Hand Lotion using homemade gel experiment...(Flop)

Remember back when I made the homemade hand lotion and I mentioned that I wondered if I could make my own gel, rather than purchasing aloe vera gel, which can be expensive?  Well, I succeeded in making my own hair gel.  What I did not succeed at is making it work with the lotion recipe.  Darn! Here's what happened.

I took 1/2C of the gel and put it in my mini processor
I added one Tablespoon of Canola Oil
And gave it a whirl in the processor.  Here's what I got.
It looked nice, but it wasn't oily enough when used as lotion.
So, I added another T of veg oil
As you can see from when I used it again, it made my hands 
a little too oily and the texture had a lot to be desired.
I considered this experiment a flop, yet didn't want to throw out
1/2C of gel.  Because oil improved the texture of my homemade hand sanitizer so much, 
I decided to dump the rest of my son's homemade hair gel in with it.
And gave it a whirl.
 It really improved the texture!
He's only 6, so he has no oil in his hair naturally.  
Since the oil now makes up only 5% of the total batch,
I'm hoping it won't make his hair greasy or take away
from the drying/defining effect of the hair gel.
He'll probably be scarred for life, but I poured his
new and hopefully improved gel into a washed ketchup container, lol!

2 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work, love reading about your experiments you are trying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not bad!
    when did my i use gin and Naturally jello mix my friend made for me!

    ReplyDelete