Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Quick and Easy Garlic Butter

We found some boneless arm steak on sale for $5.25 (for the whole two+ pound package) this weekend and wanted to try something different with them.  I saw this garlic butter recipe on All Recipes an thought we'd give it a go.  Here's what you'll need for a HALF recipe.  We only have 3 people in our family, so you can easily double it.
Supplies:
1/4C Butter (1/2 stick), room temp
1t Garlic Powder
2 Cloves Garlic
Microplane or fine grater

 Stir your softened butter to break up any clumps.
Add in garlic powder.
Grate garlic cloves over bowl.
Be sure to scrape garlic from underside of grater.
Stir together well.
Take a spoonful and top your steak with it!
Let it melt and create its own sauce...yummmm!

Notes:
This was soooo good and I'm not a big steak eater!  My portion was probably 8 ounces and I ate the whole thing!  I normally wouldn't even finish four ounces, so that's saying a lot!  Although my husband was a little depressed because he's used to me flinging my unwanted portions on his plate, LOL!  That didn't happen this time, poor guy!  My son probably had a good 8 ounces himself and he's only six!

What I liked about this was that it took a cheap piece of steak (really cheap....about the same as hamburger) and it made it taste like a New York Strip to me, but more tender.  I will definitely be making this again and again.  We had about half left over when we were done, but we're just going to pop that in the fridge for next time.  My husband even spread some on a roll and ate it!

As for seasoning on the steaks, we just seasoned them as we would if we weren't using the butter.  So, do it however you normally do, then add the butter once plated.

A word of caution....this is (obviously) very garlicky.  If you're not a big fan of garlic, it may be too much for you.  Of course, if you're not a fan, you're probably not going to make this, are you?   :oP

It wasn't as overbearing as I thought it would be.  I kept asking myself as I made it....why fresh garlic AND garlic powder??....doesn't make sense.  Oh, but it does. It was to die for.  We're die-hard garlic fans though.  

I really think this could be taken to another level by adding some fresh herbs to it.  As is, it cost .42 c for the half batch, which will last us for 2 dinners.  So, it adds 7c per (large) serving.  And we weren't stingy with it at all.  I think it was worth it!  Gets an A+ from my family.   If you try this, let me know what you think!

{Printer Friendly Version}

1 comment:

  1. This actually sound very good! I'm with your hubby, I would put it on bread too...LOVE garlic bread! TFS.

    ReplyDelete