Sunday, June 19, 2011

Homemade Taco Seasoning

I have a confession to make. I hate hate hate the taco seasoning that comes in a packet.  There's something about the overbearing flavor of cumin and the orangy color that drives me up a wall.  Years ago, I found a recipe online to make my own and it was sooooo much better.  This is NOT that recipe.  I cannot find my old one.  But this will do just as well.  Here's what you'll need...
Ingredients:
1T Chili Powder
1t Garlic Powder
1/4t Onion Powder
1/4t Crushed Red Pepper (optional)
1/2t Paprika
1/2t Cumin
1/2t Salt
1/4t Oregano
1t Ground Black Pepper

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
 Mix together and you will have something that looks like this:
Using a funnel (or paper plate, like I did), pour the contents into a 
clean jar or spice container from back when you had a total
fixation with having every spice under the sun and they all had 
to be labeled just so.  Hang your head in shame.
You'll end up with about this much.
How much is that?  Mmmmm...about an ounce.
Some people will tell you that this is what comes
in a packet and to use the whole thing.  I TOTALLY
disagree.  I just sprinkle some on my beef, taste, and
add more if needed.  I think way too much comes 
in those gross little packets.

This tastes really good in homemade tacos.  This recipe will show you how I use this spice mix.

Because I buy spices at Aldi's, I pay about .99c per 5oz on the average.  This makes this whole batch of taco seasoning come to less than 18 cents.  I'm not sure how much the packets are in the store, but I know they're a lot more than that.  Besides, this will last me at least 10 times of taco making!

No comments:

Post a Comment