Monday, June 6, 2011

Homemade Window Cleaner....aka Schwindex!

I've been making my own Window Cleaner for quite awhile now.  It works so much better than the store-bought brands.  Give it a try!  Here's what you'll need...
 Ingredients:
Clear Ammonia
Rubbing Alcohol
Dish Soap (make sure it does not contain any bleach products)
Blue Dye (Optional)

First, measure out 1/2C of the Rubbing Alcohol.
Add in 2T Ammonia
Add in 1/4 teaspoon of any Dish Soap.
Note: The smell and/or color does not affect 
the finished product.  Make SURE it does not
contain bleach or any bleach products.
Mix those up with the measuring spoon you used
for the dish soap.  This will help get it all off of the
measuring spoon.  On a protected surface, carefully
pour into your clean, empty spray bottle.
With the water on low, slowly fill the rest of the bottle with tap
water.  You want to do it slowly so you don't cause a bunch of
bubbles.  I left about an inch and a half head space.  Ya never
know how much room the sprayer assembly will take up.
You can always fill it to the top once you know.  I just use cool water.
I added 4 drops of Stampin' Up's Marina Mist reinker.  
(Visit my other site if you're interested in card making/scrapbooking)
You could use regular food dye or nothing at all if you want.
I just think it looks purty and you can identify it easily.
And your kid won't spray the dog in the face, 
thinking it's just water in a bottle.  Ask me how I know...
And here's what you end up with!  Innit purdy?
So much less expensive than the store brand!
You'd never know the difference by looking at it!
But your wallet will knowwwww......
Here's where I keep my secret recipe...
right on the back of the kitchen cabinet
that holds cleaning supplies.  Real handy!

Notes:
If you make this, please use the exact recipe!  Do NOT mix other chemicals together thinking they'll do in a pinch.  Bleach and Ammonia mixed together creates a very dangerous chlorine gas that can kill you! Please make sure that the container you use is completely clean and washed/rinsed in hot water to remove any traces of prior cleaners.

You will find that this recipe is much stronger than the commercial brands and works way better!  It dries a lot faster because of the alcohol content.  Obviously, do not use this on wood furniture.  Test on anything you are uncertain of.  I use it on my windows, glass doors, tile counter tops, mirrors, toilets and sinks.

The color/scent of dish soap you decide to use does not affect the final product.  It pretty much smells like rubbing alcohol regardless of what you use.  I'm not sure if any dish soap actually contains bleach, but please double check that it doesn't.  If it does, do NOT use it with this recipe.

According to my calculations, this whole 32oz bottle of Schwindex cost me less than .32 CENTS!  And I allotted 5 cents of that for the reinker, which is probably too high!  Can you imagine how much money we're wasting every few months spending $4-5 for one bottle of this!?  Holy cow!  I was really surprised it cost so little to make at home.

Try making some for yourself and tell me what you think of it!  I'm never going back to the old stuff!

{Printer Friendly Version}

1 comment:

  1. I have a recipe for cleaner, it's water, vinegar, rubbing alcohol and Prell shampoo, I mix it up in a gallon container and it goes along way!!

    ReplyDelete