Monday, June 6, 2011

The Homemade Microwave Popcorn Experiment...

I am now going to show you an experiment I did today.  I wanted to make my own popcorn at home in the microwave, so I did!  Here's what you'll need...

Ingredients:
1/4C Popcorn Kernels
1 Brown Lunch Sack

Optional:
1T Butter
Salt to taste
Measure out 1/4C of popcorn kernels 
and toss them in your lunch sack.
Fold the sack over two times.
Place fold-side-down in your microwave.
Assuming this would be like the store-bought stuff, 
I hit 3 minutes on the microwave at full power.
(Note: this needs to be adjusted...see notes below)
Listen for the kernels to slow down popping noises. Remove 
from mic and take a very blurry pic of how much you got.
I'm guessing between two and three cups!
I just used my measuring cup and put my butter and salt
in it, then microwaved it for about a minute to melt it.
Pour on top of your popcorn, fold the
bag over and give a good shake to distribute.
Pour into a bowl and chow down!
When my hubby and son were finished, I asked to see
how many old maids were left.  I was surprised!  Almost half!
That's not good!  I'm going to have to adjust my cooking time.

Notes and things I learned:
Next time, I won't add the salt in with the butter.  I'll shake it in separately so it gets more evenly distributed.

Obviously, because of all the old maids I have left, I need to increase my microwave time significantly.  I was afraid to leave it too long, lest it burn like the store-bought pre-packaged bags.  Maybe theirs burns so easily due to the oil in there.

My husband and son said this was BETTER than the store-bought microwave popcorn!  I didn't expect them to say that, but I'm happy they did.  This whole batch (including the unpopped kernels) cost 13 CENTS before the butter was added, and that includes the price of the bag!  After the butter, it cost about 24cents!  Not too shabby!  

I was really impressed because it doesn't have that burned oil taste that we've become so accustomed to with the store bought microwave popcorn.  Try this for yourself and let me know how it comes out!

{Printer Friendly Version}

2 comments:

  1. Looks good and what a great savings too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. to make no calories popcorn, just cover the bottom of the lunch bag with kernels, pop 5 minutes. Pour a few popped ones into another big bowl, spray with butter flavored spray and sprinkle with garlic powder. then add more popped ones and repeat. the spary wets the popcorn and allows the powder to stick. You can use any kind of flavoring, onion powder, herbs etc.

    ReplyDelete