Thursday, June 16, 2011

Homemade Ranch Dip and Dressing Mix

If you're like most people, you either buy the packets of Hidden Valley or buy bottled ranch dressing. Why not make it at home for a few pennies instead.  Does it taste exactly the same?  Welllll, not exactly.  But it is a good substitute if you want to save some dough.  Here's what you'll need. 
Ingredients:
5T Minced, Dried Onions
2T + 1t Dried Parsley Flakes
2t Salt
1t Garlic Powder

UPDATE: I have since found a MUCH better Ranch Dressing to make at home.  While I LOVE the below recipe for dip, THIS recipe for ranch is much more satisfying and tasty!

Mix all ingredients in a small bowl or cup.  You could 
leave it as is and put it in a jar, but it has to sit longer
after being mixed together because the onions have to reconstitute.
Me, I'm going to grind mine in my coffee grinder so it mixes faster.
Spoon it in, working in two batches.
Put the lid on and press down the button.  I let it go until it 
ground down into a fine powder.
When done with both batches, dump your powder into a
clean jar.  I knew I kept that old yeast jar for a reason!
Be sure to spill some on the counter, making it look like
you're a total slob in the picture, lol!
Screw lid on and give it a good shake to combine
the two batches.  I used painters tape to label it
and to put the recipe for dip and dressing
on the outside.  That way, I don't have to dig for it.
Now, to clean your coffee grinder so it 
doesn't taste like onions next time you use it.
(If you're a serious coffee drinker, get a separate grinder)
Place a couple of chunks of bread in the grinder.
 Put the lid on and push the button.  See how the moisture
in the bread starts to clean the powder off?  
Keep going for a little bit, then remove the lid. 
Dump out crumbs into trash (or toast them and
put them on a casserole), then wipe grinder clean with paper towel.
I set out to make the dressing right away, but accidentally grabbed
sour cream instead of milk, so I made ranch dip.  
Be sure to label your container so you know when you made it.  
How long will it last?  I dunno. 
But I do like to know how long it's been in there!
While I was at it, I got out the milk and made a small batch of  
salad dressing.   I  wanted to make sure we like it first.
Notes:

If you decide NOT  to grind your spices:
To make ranch dip: Blend together 2T of mix, 1C Sour Cream and 1C REAL Mayo (not Miracle Whip, for the love of all that is good and holy in the world, people!!!)
To make ranch dressing.: Blend together 2T of mix, 1C Milk and 1C real mayo

If you DO grind your spices like I did:
To make ranch dip: Blend together 1 1/2T of mix, 1C Sour Cream and 1C REAL Mayo
To make ranch dressing:  Blend together 1 1/2T of mix, 1C Milk and 1C real mayo

Because this smelled suspiciously overtly oniony to me, I only made a 1/3 of a batch of both dip and dressing.
I have to say....we LOVE the dip!  Does it taste like ranch?  Sorta.  It tastes more like a mix of onion dip and ranch dip, but it's really very good.  As for the dressing, I haven't tasted it on salad, but it tastes pretty good. out of the jar.  It doesn't taste quite like ranch, but it is good.  I would definitely make it again.  The big test is to see if my son will eat it.  I'll update this post when he does.  I tend to do a lot of my experiments when he's in bed.

{Printer Friendly Version}

2 comments:

  1. It look just like the real deal. Now the recipes I've seen have dill and/or basil added. Don't know if that would make it taste like it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen that, too. Not really sure. I like dill though! Basil, too!

    ReplyDelete