Thursday, June 30, 2011

Huevos Rancheros (or something like it)

Yesterday, I missed breakfast.   I had to go to the grocery store, run errands, pick up Tommy from VBS.  Why am I telling you all of this?  I don't know, but it does lead up to a really yummy brunch!  I decided to make myself a quick version of Huevos Rancheros.  Here's what you need.  (Sorry, no picture this time, but it's easy)

Ingredients:
1T Cooking Oil
1 Corn Tortilla
1 Egg
2T-1/4C Black or Refried Beans
2T Shredded Cheddar
Salsa, El Pato or Ranchero Sauce to taste
Dollop of sour cream, if desired

Remember a couple of days ago when I 
recycled my cooking oil?  Well, today that
came in handy.  BTW, it didn't have any weird taste!
I scraped about a Tablespoon out with a spoon. 
It's been in the freezer, so it's hard.  I don't know what
the deal is with my camera.  These pics are awful.
Throw that into a pan over med-high heat.
Use your skankiest pan possible so all the world can see
how badly you've treated it.  Go say a Hail Mary.
When oil is hot, throw in your tortilla.  
Or 'tor-tee-lee-uh' as my old boss liked to say. 
When golden and crispy, flip over and do the other side.
 Take it out when the other side is done and drain on a paper towel.
I know, I know, I'm not supposed to be using paper towels!  What...
I'm supposed to go cold turkey here?  I figure it's probably kind of
dangerous to wash an oily rag or towel. Could send the dryer up in flames.  
I'm certain I'm saving my family from a horrible fate by doing this.
When you're done with your tortilla, fry up your egg in the same pan. 
While that's a-fryin', slap a few black beans on your now-crispy 
tortilla.  As many or as little as you like, 
as long as there's exactly seventy one.  Ha!
Next, lay down that lovely, over-easy fried egg!  I know...it doesn't 
look over easy.  I smashed up the yolk a bit.  
That's okay.  It's on the inside that counts.  Really, it is!
Then grate some of that lovely sharp cheddar on top of your egg.
Then pour on your salsa of choice.  I'm using El Pato.  
Have I mentioned my steamy love affair with El Pato?
Can't get enough of it.  Try it.  It's so good!  If this picture
weren't going to be posted here, I would have drown 
the entire thing with it while you weren't looking!  I may
have done that afterward.  You'll never know!   (?)
If desired, you can put a little dollop of sour cream on top.
It honestly didn't need it. Everything else was so darn tasty!
Notes:
And that was my lunch yesterday!  Doesn't it look down right tasty?  It was soooo good!
Ah-hem, I may have even had a second one. Gimme a break.   I didn't have breakfast!

I believe 'real' huevos rancheros have refried beans on the bottom.  They may even be made
with soft flour tortillas.  And have real ranchero sauce.   I don't care.  I love mine!  So, there!

Coming in at a whopping 40 cents each, it's a pretty cheap breakfast/lunch.

3 comments:

  1. Actually, this would be good anytime of the day, looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, 1 recomendation: you must smash the beans before put it in the tortilla. If you fry it in a pan and add cheese in that moment, the flavor will be better ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhhh, that sounds good, Alba! Thanks for the recommendation! I'll try that next time! Happy New Year!
      ~Chanda

      Delete