Friday, June 24, 2011

Hamburger Buns or Dinner Rolls???

Okay, so I forgot to flatten these out and they turned out like dinner rolls.  That's okay, they tasted great as a roll.
Here's what you need to make them.
Ingredients:
1 1/4C Milk (heated to 110F)
2T Butter
1 1/4t Yeast
1/4C Sugar
3 3/4C Flour
3/4t Salt
1 Egg (Optional:  Use one extra if you want to brush the tops with it)
Optional: poppy seeds or sesame seeds

Pour milk into small pot.  Add in butter.  Heat on low.  You are just
trying to warm it up, so watch it carefully.
Remove from heat.
Check temperature to make sure it's somewhere between 110 and 115F.
Yeast dies at 120F, so be particular about this.  
Add in sugar and yeast.
Give a good stir.  Walk away for 10 minutes or so.
Here's what you'll end up with.  Doesn't quite look like it 
normally does for some reason, but it worked out fine.
Pour into the pan of your bread maker.
Add in flour and salt.
I just put the egg on top because I worried about it curdling
if I put it in the warm milk below.
Select the dough option on your machine and hit start.
An hour and a half later, you are ready to go.  
 Turn dough out onto a floured surface.  I just used my 
hands to form into a somewhat rectangular shape.
Using a pizza cutter, cut your dough into 16 pieces.
Take the 4 rounded corner off and put them in some plastic wrap,
then refrigerate. Set aside to make pigs in a blanket another day.  Recipe HERE.
Here's what you're left with.  Twelve somewhat-even pieces with
which to make your hamburger buns (turned dinner rolls).
Fold squares over to create a round ball.  I kinda pinch mine in my fist.
Place on a parch-lined baking sheet that you used for hot dog buns 
earlier in the day.  By the way, this is the point where you would 
gently press down on the little balls to flatten them into something
that resembles a hamburger bun.  I forgot this part!!!
 Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rise for 1/2 hour in a warm place.
 If you choose to do an egg glaze, take your extra egg and whip it.
Gently brush over the tops of your rolls.
This uses maybe a Tablespoon of the egg. Save the rest in a ramekin
for tomorrow's breakfast!  
Sprinkle tops of buns with sesame or poppy seeds if desired.
Bake in a 350F oven for 9 to 11 minutes.
Notes:
These taste good as dinner rolls, too, if you forget to flatten them like I did.

These came out a little smaller than I had imagined.  Next time, I may make 12 with a full batch rather than the 16 that this would have made had I not set some aside for pigs in a blanket. 

I do have another recipe for hot dog buns that you can make hamburger buns out of.  I think I actually prefer that one, but these are pretty good, too.

Made as a whole batch of 16, this whole recipe comes to $1.01, or 6 cents per roll!  So much cheaper than the grocery store!

Recipe courtesy of Craving Comfort. 

{Printer Friendly Version}

3 comments:

  1. Your hamburger buns look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A comment from Lorien via e-mail
    WOW! I saw your link on SCS and have spent the last couple of days reading your posts here when I got a chance. Great stuff! Don't know if I can bring myself to make my own hot dog and hamburger buns, but I will definitely be giving some of these ideas a shot. Thank you for sharing! I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know my recruit Bonnie makes her own buns and I never knew how she did it. You are so so Betty even though you think your not! Hugs,Bev

    ReplyDelete