Friday, June 3, 2011

Dogitos

I used to buy the premium franks that cost $3.69 for a pack.  I like them because they don't have any fillers/nitrates/nitrites/by-products/artificial colors, etc...  However, our budget being what it is, I had to make an executive decision. So I broke down and bought the cheapos.  These were on sale for 99c a pack, so I bought four and froze them. If I can get these at 1/4 the price of my usual dogs, it's worth it.  It won't kill us. Hopefully.  Maybe.  Not sure about the Nitrates.  ;)
Since I had so many hot dogs, I thought I'd better come up with a creative way to eat them.  I made one of these for Tommy's lunch today and he loved it.   He calls it the "dog-ito".  Super easy and really cheap!   While certainly not the most healthy of lunches, it's better than something fried. (Like the potato chips right along side of it, lol!)
Here is your list of ingredients (per serving)
1 Corn or Flour Tortilla
1 Hot Dog
1/4 Slice of American Cheese
Olive Oil
Toothpicks
Pastry Brush
Using the pastry brush, smear olive oil on both sides of the tortilla.  
I only used maybe 1/4t on each side.
Place your 1/4 slice of cheese down 
and put the hot dog on top of it.
Roll it away from you, like a little burrito 
and seal with toothpicks, noting how easily
your tortilla splits and wishing you had
heated the darn thing up first!
Place in your toaster oven on some parch.
Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes,  turning
half way through. 
Carefully remove from toaster oven
and let cool for a few minutes.  
They're a lot hotter inside than outside!
Update: 
I made these again today, but fried them in about 1/4" of oil.
If you fry your tortilla for a few seconds on each side, they roll up much
more easily.  (they're screaming hot though)  You can also place them seam side
down in the oil first and it will hold itself together!  See my picture!
This is after turning it a 1/4 turn.

These were very crunchy and tasty, but a little more
fattening than baking them, so I served it with some fruit.

Notes and what I learned:
If you heat up your tortilla (or possibly use fresher ones than I did), they won't split so badly.

If you fry them, be sure to place the tortilla in the hot oil for a few seconds before rolling up.  This way, it won't crack at all, but you have to watch your fingers...ouch!  Using tongs, place seam-side down in pan.  Then, when you turn them, the seam will stick together without the toothpicks!

You really only need 1/4 slice of cheese in these.  If you put any more, it will ooze out the ends and make a mess.

I wish I would have gotten them a little browner when I baked them, but they did taste very good.

One serving of this costs on 24 CENTS!  I usually serve Tommy's lunch with a piece of fruit, but today he begged me for chips.  We buy the BBQ ones from Aldi's and they're really good...and cheap!  With the chips, it still came to only 40 cents for lunch!  You can't eat that cheap anywhere!

You could also fry these for an awesome crunch!  If you try dogitos, let me know how your kids liked them!

{Printer Friendly Version}

2 comments:

  1. Try heating your flour tortilla in the microwave for about 10 seconds, that will usually make them pliable. Another great tip, tfs!

    ReplyDelete