Sunday, June 19, 2011

Tacos with homemade seasoning

You can view my homemade taco seasoning recipe HERE.  Below is how I use it in my tacos.

Add about 1/2C water to your ground beef.
Note: I used my precooked, frozen stash.
Add some of your spice to the meat as desired.
See that spice action?  Took 4 shots to get that falling just so!
Cook for a bit until the water gets absorbed or dissipates. 
You will see a little bit of 'gravy' look to the meat.
Okay, next, I'm going to show you how I quickly slap 
together some tacos for a quick, easy and cheap dinner.  
Try not to cringe and please note that I have cleaned
my glass top stove with baking powder, so it's totally safe to eat.
While burner is on LOW, lay down a flour tortilla.
Wait until it starts to puff up a little, then flip over.
It should look something like this.
Being the total risk taker that I am, I decided to put some
beef on one side while it was still on the burner.  You just have
to make sure you don't get it too close to the edge.
Then add your cheese.
Carefully fold over...
And brown on both sides...Prior to this, you don't want it getting
crispy because it will break when you go to fold it.  Now, you
want it to get that crispy effect, without the fat and frying.
Serve up with some salsa and sour cream (or any other
toppings of choice) and chow down!
Notes:
Because I had more control over the seasonings, I could make this more mild.  Even my 6 year old loved it and took it to school for lunch the next two days. 

I seasoned my beef as usual before freezing.  You can make yours fresh with your normal seasoning, then add this. That's why I cut the salt down so much in this recipe.

2 comments:

  1. Here is the link to the one on Allrecipes;
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/taco-seasoning-i/detail.aspx
    I really need to make this instead of buying it, everyone says the homemade is sooooooo much better! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's probably the one I found. I changed the amounts a little to suit our taste though. Thanks, Mary. :)

    ReplyDelete