Monday, June 20, 2011

Homemade Broth

After making boneless ribs the other night, I decided to make good use of my rib water. I just couldn't dump it down the drain! Here's what I did...

You see this stinky water left over from par-boiling my ribs?
 And these useless vegetable ends from when I made potato salad?
Throw them in a pot together and turn on high. 
I snapped a few pieces of the runt garlic 
in half to add more flavor.  (You know those tiny
little inside pieces that are too small to grate/chop?)
After about an hour or two, it will look like so...
Take a sieve and position it over a bowl.
Line that sieve with a paper towel to catch all the small bits.
Pour your broth, veggies and all,  into the paper towel.
When it drains (a few seconds), you will end up with this.
Discard these veggie bits.  They've served their purpose
in this world as far as I'm concerned. They were destined for
the trash can prior to this.  If you're die hard, maybe you could wash
the fat off and throw them in a compost pile...who knows.
Remove your sieve and look at the gorgeous broth you have!
I know...it looks like urine.  Try to ignore that.  Or take it to
your next doctor's appt and see what they diagnose you with!
Pour into freezable containers with some head space, wishing
you had used all of the pork water and not just two thirds!
Obsess over this for about an hour, then move on with your life.
Label and date and throw in the freezer.
I hate to admit that the pork water smelled really gross as it was boiling with the ribs in it, but it did.  There's just something weird about pork that way.  When I decided to make the broth, I thought I was wasting my time because there was no way my nose could handle putting that in something.  I just knew I'd be able to smell that funky pork smell.

But after it boiled for a couple of hours, it smelled so good in the house!  I was extremely surprised to find that it smells just like some really good chicken stock, and I didn't even have any bones to make it into stock!
I'm really glad I went with my new frugal gut and just couldn't throw it away.  You'll be surprised what you can make if you just think before your throw something out!  This broth would have cost about $3 at the store!  Mine was free!  Yippee!

{Printer Friendly Version}

2 comments:

  1. Your broth looks like it has alot of good flavor to it. What will you use it in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll use it just like I would chicken stock! In any recipe that calls for broth/stock. I used it the very next day to my surprise! The leftover ribs were really dry the next day, so I shredded them, put them in a mini crock pot, added some of my homemade bbq sauce and put in half of one of my homemade pork broth containers. It tasted great!

    ReplyDelete