Saturday, June 4, 2011

Even BETTER hot dog/hamburger buns!

I made another batch of hot dog buns today and they turned out much softer and lighter than my last batch!  Let me share it with you!  Here's what you'll need...

Ingredients:
1C Milk
1/2C Water
1/4C Butter
1 Egg
4 1/2C A/P Flour
2 1/4t Active Dry Yeast
2T White Sugar
1 1/2t Salt

Place ingredients in the pan of your bread machine in the order they are listed in the recipe above.
Select the Dough setting on your bread machine.  Hit Start!
After an hour and a half, you'll have a beautiful, BIG dough ball!
You'll have to forgive me because I totally forgot to take pix of the following steps!  I don't know where my brain is today!  Next, you will lay the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead it a few times.  Spread it out as best you can in the shape of a rectangle about an inch or so thick.  Cut that rectangle in half both ways.
You now have four pieces.  Cut those pieces into 4 long pieces/strips.  They kinda look like a fat bread stick.
I did some shaping, but I really think you could even just leave them as they are and they'd be fine.  What I did was to pinch the edges of the dough under to round the edges. I didn't bother with the sides. (You could also shape them into hamburger buns at this point) I laid them on a parch-lined pan and covered with a slightly wet paper towel.  I let them rise for another 1/2 hour.  I popped them in a 400 degree oven and baked them for about 14 minutes.  Note: your oven is different than mine and may take more or less time, so please start your timer at about 8-10 minutes, then check them.
When I popped them out of the oven, they looked like this:
They're not perfect looking, but they have an awesome texture!  
They a little firm on the outside (not much), but they are really nice and 
soft on the inside, like a hot dog bun should be!  But it doesn't have
that cheap, airy taste that the store bought ones do!


Notes and What I Learned:
It really pays to look around and try different recipes!  I'm really happy with this one and think it will become our new standby.  

I can't believe I forgot to take several pix of several important steps!  Of course, I'm new at this, but still...
I'll remember next time I make them.

As with my regular hot dog buns, I allow them to cool completely, place in a large zip top bag and freeze.  I take two or three out at a time and put them in a smaller zip top bag to thaw in the fridge.  You'd never know they were frozen!

You can always shape these into little rounds and make hamburger buns, too.

According to my calculations, the whole batch comes out to $1.32 for 16 buns!!!  That's only  8.25c each!
Amazing!

{Printer Friendly Version}

2 comments:

  1. These sound good too, now I just need some cooler weather so I can try them out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea! Who woulda thought dingbat here would wait until it gets hot to start a baking marathon, LOL!

    ReplyDelete