Sunday, July 31, 2011

Old-Fashioned Butterscotch Pudding and why it's gross.

I was reading a post for Homemade Butterscotch Pudding over at Lynn's Kitchen Adventures and it looked really good. It called for butterscotch chips, which I did not have and I didn't want to run to the store.  I noticed a lady in the comment section posted that she had a recipe her mom used to make from a 1939 cook book called "The Working Girl Must Eat" by Hazel Young.  So, I thought...well, certainly that has to be  great, right?  Uhhhh, not so much.  Not sure why I'm even posting it if we didn't care for it, but maybe you can learn from my mistakes, right?

Ingredients:
1C Brown Sugar
1/4C Corn Starch*
Dash of Salt
2C milk
1 Egg
3T Butter
1t Vanilla
Combine brown sugar, starch, salt, milk and egg 
(basically everything but the butter and vanilla) in a sauce pan.
Whisk together and cook over medium heat for approximately
10 minutes, stirring constantly. 
 Remove from heat and add in butter and vanilla.  Whisk.
Can you see the weird texture?  Look just north of the butter.  Strange.
Pour into cups and cover directly with plastic wrap or plop on a lid.
Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, preferably six or more.

*Before I make any comments, I should give you a disclaimer: the recipe called for flour rather than cornstarch, but I just couldn't get myself to do it!  I envisioned butterscotch gravy! Ewwwww!  In no way can I fathom making pudding with flour.  It's unnatural.  It also called to do this over a double boiler.  Maybe this is why I had the weird texture?  I dunno, but come on...that's too much work for pudding, people!  LOL!

It's not that the taste was bad, it was just not what we're used to when we think of butterscotch.  You know, we're kinda thinking it will taste like the fake flavor in the box, or perhaps a more lighter version of it.  This just tasted like brown sugar pudding, if there is such a thing.  I regret to say that we ended up throwing half of it out.  I really hate wasting, but no one would eat it.  It was the texture that bothered us more than anything.  It was kind of grainy.  Not at all smooth and creamy, like you expect out of a pudding.  I'm gonna consider this one a flop.  I would really like to try Lynn's version if I can find some butterscotch chips for dirt cheap!  Had this worked out, it would have been a real bargain at 98 cents total to make.  But I'd rather pay a little more and have something we'll really eat.  Sorry Hazel.

1 comment:

  1. I've never been a fan of butterscotch pudding, box or otherwise. Hope you find a recipe that your like :).

    ReplyDelete