Friday, July 29, 2011

Homemade Croutons

Ever made homemade croutons?  Why not?  They're so easy, I promise!  You'll never pay $2 to $3 a package ever again when you can make them for pennies.  Start by saving that hard old heel of bread that no one will eat!  Here's what you need:
 Ingredients:
An old heel (NO, I'm not talking about your husband!  A heel of bread!)
Olive Oil
Garlic Powder
Salt
Pepper

If you bread is not already sliced, do so now.
Brush each slice with olive oil.  I find it best
if I put a couple of Tablespoons in a little ramekin
and dip my brush in it.  If you squirt it on top, 
you tend to use a lot more.
Sprinkle with garlic powder, salt and pepper.  Use any 
dried herbs/spices that you enjoy.  Be careful with the 
garlic powder.  I used a little too much and it was a 
little overpowering and the slightest bit bitter.
Cut into 3/4" to 1" pieces depending on preference.
 Place on a parch-lined baking sheet in a single layer.
Bake at 250F for about 1/2 hour, depending on the amount of
moisture left in your bread.  Flip about half way through.  They're done 
when they're crunchy without any chewiness left to them. 
Place in a zip top bag and date.  I keep mine in the cupboard.
My heel of bread was cut into three thick slices.  This made enough to easily fill a bag or box of store bought croutons and costs about 15 cents to make.  I love how much I'm saving by doing this!  So easy, too!
New to making things at home from scratch?  This is probably one of the easiest things you can start with.
Give it a try and let me know what you think.  Crunch, crunch, crunch!
{Printer Friendly Version}

1 comment: