Saturday, July 30, 2011

Crusty French Bread in a bread machine

A while back I made this crusty French bread in my bread machine. I made a half batch (which is what the recipe reflects) to see if we liked it first.  We did!  Here's what you'll need:
Ingredients:
1C Warm Water (110-115F)
1T Sugar
1 1/4t Yeast
1T Veg or Olive Oil
3C A/P Flour
1 1/2t Salt
Egg      (Ignore that little guy)

I always add my ingredients in the same order: 
Warm water, sugar, yeast and oil first.  
This allows your yeast to bloom.  
Let it sit for about 5 or 10 minutes.
After the yeast has bubbled up and proved it's worth, 
I add in my flour and salt.
Now, you see how there's an egg in my ingredient picture?
Well, I had this idea that I was going to make the dough in my bread maker, 
form a loaf, brush with egg, then bake a crusty loaf in the oven.  
Soon realizing it was going to get to 587 degrees that day outside, 
I decided to just use the bread machine.  Moving on....
Hit small light loaf on your bread machine and hit start.
A couple of hours later, you have this little bundle of joy!
I waited until it was cool enough that I didn't scorch my hands off, 
then cut myself a piece and slathered with some whipped butter
Yumm-o! It was crusty, it was tear-y 
(tear, like rip, not tear, like boo hoo), it was delish! 
Later that day, we had grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch!
What is the deal with my camera person?!  Sheesh!
The next day, we had eggs, bacon and you guessed it...toast!
It was good and crusty.  Just do it in the toaster rather than 
the toaster oven.  That makes it hard as a rock!
Why not make some homemade bread yourself? Go on, give it a try.  You can do it!  The best part...
It only costs about 35c to make this whole loaf!  Now, that's almost as satisfying as eating it!
Recipe courtesy of Lynda's Recipe Box, adapted to use in bread machine.
{Printer Friendly Version}

1 comment:

  1. Hey can I come for breakfast? Your's looks so good! I love crusty bread, so will try your recipe, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete