Saturday, July 2, 2011

Lemon Garlic Broccoli

Here's a veggie dish I made last night.  It called for broccolini, which I didn't have.  I did have broccoli though!  I apologize that I didn't finish the pictorial.  A neighbor stopped by and I invited him to dinner.
Because I was so busy talking to him while my hubby cooked the chicken, I totally forgot to take the rest of the pix!  I finally remembered when I served up the dish!  I'll explain what I did though.

Here's what you'll need
Ingredients:
1/2Lb Broccoli (I didn't use all shown...wouldn't fit in my steamer!)
1T Olive Oil
1T Fresh Lemon Juice
1t Lemon Zest
1 Clove Garlic, minced
Salt and Pepper to taste

Combine your olive oil, lemon juice, zest, minced garlic, salt and pepper
in a bowl.  Give them a stir.  Let them sit for a bit to let the flavors meld.
Pour a couple of inches of water into a pot.
Place a steamer insert on top.  Your water should not touch the bottom
Trim your broccoli.  See that skin on the outside?  I like to carefully peel a 
very thin layer of that off with a knife.  It can be tough and woody sometimes.
Okay, so here's when the neighbor came over and I failed to finish my pix. 
But here's what you do next...
After you trim your broccoli, place broccoli florets in your steamer insert.  I pack them in tightly, tucking stems under other pieces.  Turn heat to high and put lid on.

When it starts to boil, set your timer for 5 minutes.  Lift lid and check tenderness. Right now, it should be a bright healthy green.  We like ours on the firmer side, but we still needed to add a couple of minutes to that.

Remove steamer insert and plop your broccoli into your bowl of marinating ingredients.  Toss to coat.  Serve.
Let the (now-green) water in the bottom cool and use to water your garden.
Notes:
I screwed up big time.  I thought since I had such a huge bundle of broccoli, I had better double the marinade/sauce ingredients.  Big mistake.  Because I couldn't fit the whole thing of broccoli into my steamer,  I ended up with the right amount of broccoli, but double the sauce.  Instead of saving half the sauce for another day, I used it all. Whoa.  Talk about over-powering!  My husband and neighbor said it tasted great.  Me, I thought it was reminiscent of Lemon-Scented Pine-Sol, LOL!  Totally my fault. Otherwise, I think this would have been quite pleasant.  There was nothing wrong with the recipe.  It was me.  Live and learn, woman!

I think I may substitute butter for the olive oil next time.  I just like butter.

This vegetable dish costs $1.69 total, or 42 cents per serving for four people.

1 comment:

  1. I may have to get a steamer and try this, with only one recipe of the sauce.

    ReplyDelete