Sunday, July 3, 2011

Fresh Squeezed Lemonade

I had some lemons that weren't looking so fresh, so I decided to make some lemonade.  Here's what you need:

Ingredients:
Lemons (I ended up using five.  These were small)
1C Sugar
Water

I did something a little unusual in that I peeled
the lemons and threw them in a pot with water.
I have visions of turning this into furniture polish.
I've seen ones that use lemon juice, but I want 
to use stuff that was going to be throw away
if possible.  I know, I'm weird.
Anyway, on to the lemonade.
Put 1C Sugar and 1C water into a small sauce pan.
Heat until sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally.  It doesn't have
to be brought to a boil.  It will dissolve before that.
Fill a pitcher part way with water.  I did this so the (almost) boiling
water wouldn't warp my pitcher when I added it.
  Add your sugar water (simple syrup). 
 I do this in the sink in case it splashes.
Squeeze your lemons into the pitcher.  Stir, then add
water a little at a time until desired taste is acquired.
Pour over ice and serve!  Yummmmmy!
Notes:
While fresh-squeezed lemonade isn't the most thrifty drink, it is a nice way to use up fruit that may have gone bad otherwise.  This 2 quart pitcher came in at $1.92 for 8 (eight ounce) glasses. That's about 24 cents a serving.  It sure was refreshing and tastes so much better than frozen concentrate!

If you're not being a dweeb like me and boiling your peels in an attempt to make furniture polish (LOL!)
you could always try one of the following:

  • Throw them on your compost heap if you have one
  • You can use them to clean all sorts of things (cutting boards, copper pans, sinks, coffee pot)
  • You can freshen up your garbage disposal
  • Make a body scrub
  • Rub on age spots to make them fade
  • Leave by a door where pests are coming in (most pests don't care for it)
  • Make some candied lemon peel
  • Make some lemon zest for recipes
  • Dry some peel (no pith), then grind to use in recipes
  • Make some lemon sugar
  • Keep your brown sugar soft (peel only, no pith or pulp)
  • Make some 'twists' for a fancy drink
  • Dry some and save them for tea
  • Add to savory dishes for an interesting flavor
  • Add to your fireplace while burning for a nice scent
  • Or, you could just make your house smell good by boiling them.  

Hope you have a safe and happy 4th!

1 comment:

  1. I bet this is much better than the canned stuff, I really like lemonade, so I will have to give this a shot, tfs!

    ReplyDelete