Saturday, July 30, 2011

Fried Cheese Sticks...yum!

Mmmmmmm, fried cheese!  Why is it that everything that tastes so darn good is so bad for you?   Oh, well. Let's make 'em anyway!
Ingredients:
Mozzarella Cheese
Vegetable Oil
1/4C A/P Flour
Panko Bread CrumbsPaprika
Black Pepper
Salt
Parsley

Start by cutting your cheese into sticks. 
Mine are approximately one ounce each. 
Set up your breading station.  Flour in one, egg in another, panko in the last.
I added a little bit of salt, pepper and paprika into each container.  (Be careful
with the salt, depending on the cheese you choose)  I saved the parsley
for the container with the panko.  How much?  Ehhh...
as much as looks good.  I stayed away from garlic powder because I 
knew it would burn and get bitter.  Note: my containers will change order
when I bread use them. I wasn't thinking when I set up this shot.  I should
also tell you that after I mixed the panko together, I decided it was too 
chunky, so I processed it in my coffee grinder. 
Start by dipping your cheese in the flour mixture.
Then dip in your egg mixture
And lastly in your panko mixture.
Set aside and continue on with the rest.  Note:  Now would have
been a good time to throw these in the freezer for a couple of hours.
They came out okay, but as you read on, you'll see what happened.
Heat up about 1/2" of oil in a skillet (or use a deep fryer if you have one).
Toss about 4 in at a time.  Okay, don't toss them, gently lay them down.
If you look closely, you can see how my cheese is already melting.
Turn and brown on each side.  Put on paper towels to briefly drain,
saying "arrrrrggghhhh" aloud when one of your cheese sticks escapes
from it's crusty shell, darn it!
Fry up the rest and serve with some marinara, if desired.
Or, like me, throw some El Pato in the microwave, make
a mess of the little bowl, but take the picture anyway.
Thank goodness I'm not a food stylist.  I'd fail miserably!  :)
Next time, I'm freezing them for sure!  While these tasted really good, they were really falling apart as we were trying to eat them.  I just pulled what spices appealed to me, and I was really surprised at how good they were.  I would definitely make these again.  Try them yourself and let me know what you think!
{Printer Friendly Version} 

REAL FOOD OPTION : if I were to make these for my family now, I would use Non hydrogenated Lard or Expeller Pressed Coconut Oil to fry these in.  I would also probably use pork rinds that had been powdered in a coffee grinder for the coating.  Spices would be the same.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm..these look so yummy! Are you related to Paula Deen by chance, lol!! Will have to try this I know hubby and daughter would love these.

    ReplyDelete