Saturday, July 2, 2011

Garlic Ginger Chicken

I made some really yummy chicken for dinner last night!  Here's what you'll need.
Ingredients:
2-3Lbs Chicken Hind Quarters
2t Olive Oil
1/4 of an Onion, diced
6 Cloves Garlic, minced
2T Fresh Ginger, peeled and minced
1/4C Soy Sauce 
1/4C Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice
Zest of 1 Orange
Freshly Cracked Pepper to taste

Open a gallon zip-top bag and fold over the sides of a small bowl.
This will make it easy to put your ingredients in the bag.
Pour 2t Olive Oil in bowl.
Add in your onion.  I used mine from my stash in the fridge.  Very handy.
Grate in your garlic cloves. I love garlic.  Keeps my husband away, ha ha ha!
Prepare your ginger for grating.  You can peel it with a knife, 
like I did.  Or you can scrape the skin away with a spoon.
Grate it into the bowl.  See how my ginger looks blue?  I found out
that it's called Hawaiian blue ginger.  That was a relief!
Add in Soy Sauce.  I used Light.  I think that means is has less salt.
Zest your orange over the bowl.  I did two of them since
I knew I'd need two oranges for the orange juice.  Might
as well make good use of it.
Then cut your now-zested oranges and squeeze into a measuring cup.
When you have a quarter cup, dump that in the bag, too.
Add in pepper to taste.  You know how they say add stuff to taste
and you're working with raw meat?  I'm not gonna TASTE that!  So, 
I guess you just have to estimate what you think you'll link.  At least
you could taste this if you wanted to.  I didn't want to.  Just add it.
Wash your chicken and pat dry.  Or don't dry.  It's a wet marinade.
What do I care?  I didn't dry them.  I'm a rebel like that.
Close your bag, then slide inside a 2nd bag.  I do this so if the
first one opens, the 2nd one is there as a safety net.  Or bag, rather.
Can you imagine that mess?  Ugh!  Smash the bag around so
the ingredients coat both sides of the chicken.  Lay flat in fridge.
Marinate for at least one hour and up to twenty four hours.
Excuse of the day: Our neighbor came over and I didn't get a 
chance to take pix of  the cooking process.  
We grilled these outside.  They came out great,
even though I accused my husband of peeling off the skin and
eating it.  That's a federal offense in this house!
Notes:
This was really yummy!  It almost had a smoky quality to it somehow.

We always use Smart Chicken.  While this is more pricey than other brands, it is far superior.  Try it, you won't go back to your old brand.  Because we're on such a strict budget, I opted for hindquarters because they're always such a bargain.

This whole meal for four people came to $8.63.  This included two pieces of chicken per person (leg/thigh combined),  1 1/2 servings of rice, 1 serving of broccoli and a dinner roll all for $2.16 per person.  Not my cheapest meal, but not too darn bad either.  There was more than enough there to eat!

Save your bones for stock!  (I forgot because we had a guest.  Darn!)


1 comment:

  1. Boy, your meal looks absolutely DELISH!!! If you were sitting next to me, I would let you have my chicken skin, I can't stand to eat the skin, no matter how it is cooked.

    ReplyDelete