Saturday, July 30, 2011

Homemade Vanilla Pudding

I made this a few weeks ago, but am finally getting around to posting it.  This makes 4 generous 1 cup servings or 8 unsatisfying 1/2C servings, lol!  Here's what you need:
Ingredients:
3/4C Sugar
1/4C Corn Starch
1/8t  Salt
3 1/2C Milk
3 Egg Yolks
1T Butter
1T Vanilla

Combine sugar, salt and corn starch in a sauce pan. Whisk together.
Whisk in milk and egg yolks.
Cook over medium high heat, stirring constantly until thickened.
This took mine about 8 minutes because I gradually turn the heat up.
I'm afraid of scorching it and ruining the whole thing, lol!
Remove from heat and add butter.
And lastly, add in your vanilla.  The reason you don't add it earlier
is because it's made up of alcohol and will just dissipate under high heat.
I've never had a problem with lumps in my pudding.
I think if you stir constantly and keep your heat low enough, 
you won't have a problem.  But if it is lumpy, just strain it.  No biggie.
Pour into desired containers and either place a piece of plastic wrap
directly on top of the pudding, or be lazy like me and use a lid.
Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.  Enjoy!
Notes:
This was sooooo good. I just love the old-fashioned taste of it.  Stop making that icky pudding out of a box and give this a try.  Besides, this whole batch makes more than you can get in a box, but only costs $1.14 total!  It's so much better for your family, takes only a few minutes and the taste can't be found in a box, I promise you.  You'll be glad you did! Recipe courtesy of Lynn's Kitchen Adventures.

1 comment:

  1. Your are so right, nothing taste as good as homemade, looks easy enough too, thanks!

    ReplyDelete