Monday, July 4, 2011

Make your own Sinus Rinse!

Today I woke up with the tell-tale signs of a sinus headache.  My cheeks were sore, above my eyebrows aching, dry throat.  Ugh..I hate allergies.  Anyway, I went to go use my handy dandy 'booger rinse' as I like to call it...I know, gross...and only had two packets left.  That was enough to get me through the day, but what about tomorrow?!  I can't afford won't pay $10 for the refill packets any more, so I decided to make my own.  Can't be that hard, right? Well, I'm glad I looked up a recipe online first, because I would have used the wrong things.  Here's what I did...

Supplies:
NON-Iodized Salt (Luckily, my Sea Salt grinder said this right on it)
Baking Soda
2C Water, distilled
Sinus Rinse Bottles like above or a Neti-Pot.

I started with two cups of water because 
I figured that's about what I'd need to fill both bottles.
The online recipe said to use either distilled water
(like I had been using up to this point) or to use water
that has been previously boiled and cooled.  Be sure to never use straight tap water because a people have actually DIED because of the bacteria in their water because it was unsafe.  
To the water, add 1/8t Baking Soda.
Then you need to add your salt.  I had to grind
it into a little container, then measure out 1 teaspoon.
Add it to your water and give it a quick stir.
I then put them in the microwave for one minute.* (see notes/warnings below)
Place the lids on and use!  (Figured you didn't want to see that)
Notes:  
I have been using this sinus rinse for a couple of years now.  I seemed to have developed worsening allergies the last few years and this really helps.  If you have frequent (or even daily) problems with allergies and your sinuses, this is something you can do every day.  Even several times a day when they're really bugging you.

The Neil Med sinus rinse has saved me from many sinus infections, I'm sure.  The key is to learning to use it at the first sign of sinus pain, pressure or allergy symptoms.  I used to pay $10 for just the (100 pkt) refill kit.  Now, I can make my own for just pennies! 

*As for the microwaving of the water,  I am only telling you what I do.  I am not recommending you do this because every microwave is different.  I fill the bottles and place them apart from each other in the mic.
I then microwave exactly one minute.  I have found that this is the perfect temperature for me.  When using one bottle, I give it less time.  My microwave will vary from yours, so do several test runs like I did to get this right.  Test it on your hand, not your nostrils.  Ask me how I know.

Trust me when I say you need to warm up the water a little bit, even if it's done in a totally different way than I do.  You do not want to know the pain of using cold/room temp water!  Holy Moly!  It's like brain freeze, yet all over your sinuses, in your cheeks, in your nose, in your forehead.  I do NOT recommend it!
With distilled water, it cost me almost 20 cents per bottle and I always use two, so 40 cents each time.  Using boiled, then cooled tap water, it probably costs me 10 cents maximum (for two bottles) and I think that's probably on the high side.  It's hard to guesstimate the salt from the grinder.  I only paid $1.49 for the whole grinder (Dollar General) and this uses just a tiny amount of it.  Baking soda, I get for 45c for a one pound box at Aldi every day.  And tap water...free....well, sort of.  You know what I mean.  Anyway, if you have sinus trouble, this is a cheap way to give you some relief.

3 comments:

  1. Another good way to heat up the water is to put it in very hot water and heat it up like we use to do for the baby bottles of formula, than test the temp on the inside of your wrist to make sure it is not too hot. This is a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good idea, too! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the way I have been doing it for YEARS!

    ReplyDelete