Sunday, July 3, 2011

Breakfast Strata

This is a recipe I've had in my brain for years. When I saw some ground sausage at the store the other day, I thought...why not?  This is something you make up the night before to have the next day.  This is great when you have company over.

Here's what you'll need
Ingredients:
1/2Lb Bacon, Ham or Ground Sausage
10 Eggs
8 pieces day old bread 
3C Milk (not pictured)
8oz Sharp Cheddar 
2T Butter
2oz Cream Cheese 
1/4t Ground Mustard
Fresh Chives 
Salt and Pepper to taste
 Start by browning your sausage.  There is a whole pound
shown, but I only used half.  I froze the other half to use on pizza!
While that's cooking, butter a 9 x 13 baking dish.
Butter each piece of bread on both sides.  I used my leftover white
bread and cut it into thick slices.  I then used my spreadable butter.
That sure came in handy and saved time.  Recipe HERE.
Cut each slice into 1" squares and toss into baking dish.
Taking thin little slices of butter, cut them into 4 pieces.
Lay them on top of the bread.  I used about 2T total.
I then did the same with some cream cheese.
I used only about a quarter of an 8oz block, but kinda wish I had used more.
Lay those on top, just like you did the butter.
 Then shred your cheese over the top.  I used a whole 8oz block
of sharp cheddar, but wish I had used more of it, too.  
I love cheese.  My thighs are living proof.
Drain sausage of excess grease.  I even ran hot water over mine.
I don't normally do that because it removes all my added spices,
but since I didn't add any, I figured I was safe.
Spread sausage evenly over the top of the cheese layer.
In a large bowl, crack 10 eggs.  Yes, I know there are five here.
My husband is heading to Aldi's as we speak!
Add in 1/4t Ground Mustard.
And pepper to taste.  I usually hold off on the salt.
Whisk it all together, breaking up the yolks.  Honey, hurry up!
I'm getting to the point where I'll need those eggs!!!
Ignore this next part.  I was thinking it would save me time if I just
snipped the chives into the eggs.  Don't do this.
Wait until the very end to sprinkle
these on your dish.  Read on, you'll see why.
Pour entire egg mixture over the whole dish.  
And here's why you need to add the chives on at the end.  They
all came out at the beginning when I was pouring.  I didn't have enough to cover
the whole dish.  You can add your chives now.  BTW, my hubby isn't 
home yet with the eggs.  Your dish will be a lot more full than this.
Cover tightly with foil and refrigerate overnight.
The next morning, remove foil and place in a 350F oven for
40 minutes or until brown and bubbly and middle is set.
Let rest for 5 or 10 minutes to set.  Serve up a healthy slice and enjoy!
Notes:
This was a really nice change.  It was gooey and comforting and just downright delish.
My 6 year old ate it under duress, but he's weird like that.

This whole batch comes to $5.66 for twelve servings.  That means each 3" x 3 1/4" piece comes to 47 cents.  Not too bad for a homey breakfast.  Even if you eat a couple of pieces.

{Printer Friendly Version}

1 comment:

  1. This looks so good! I usually make this for a dinner item, we're weird, we like breakfast items for dinner. I make this too with crescent rolls unrolled and pressed in the bottom of the pan.

    ReplyDelete