Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Sneaky Tissue Trick

I was at Aldi the other day and remembered we needed facial tissue.  Aldi carries the brand Willow that is surprisingly soft and strong.  I would even go as far as saying it is comparable to the Kleenex brand!  I was looking for the kind in the little cube, but the only ones they had were the ones with lotion in them.  I don't like those.  They don't absorb anything.  They did, however, have the regular tissues in the long, old fashioned boxes, like so....
Upon closer examination, I noticed that the box above has 184 tissues.  The little cubes have only 75, but they cost the SAME!  I can't believe I've never noticed this before.  Maybe it's because I've not purchased the above kind in 20 years, back when I had a tissue cover for one of those kind, lol!  I can only assume that they charge the same for way less tissues out of popularity.  I think most people these days have the cube kind of covers, perhaps.  I bought one of the above kind out of desperation.  I just needed them.  So, when I got home, I thought...ugh...I have no where to put this big thing.  Then it hit me!  I think I still have the old cube-shaped box from when it ran out!  I did!  Whoo hoo!  As a side note, I did not get this out of the trash, lol.  It was still in the tissue holder because someone who used the last one was too lazy to replace it, even though we didn't have any.  Ah-hem.
So the crafty mommy in me came out and I decided to make it work.  I opened up the empty tissue box.
I opened the longer tissue box and took out about 1/3 of the tissues.  I folded them in half, making sure the fold was showing on the top.
I placed them in the smaller cube box, making sure they're facing the correct way.
I then just folded the 4 flaps like you would a cardboard box.  If you've always had problems doing this, here's a tip. Start at 12 o' clock and work your way around going clockwise.  Works every time!
Because this was going to be put in my tissue holder, I didn't worry about the tissue coming out the side flaps.  I thought I'd reach in and grab the first tissue to see if they'd pop out the top like normal tissues do.
Whoo hoo!  Success! Oh, the little things that make a broke mom happy!
I am no longer going to buy the small little cube boxes!  I had no idea I was paying that much more for convenience!  I just assumed there was a similar count in each, but I was wrong!  I got two and a half times the amount of tissues for the SAME price!!!!  I do have to keep the extras in a closet in the long, opened box, but who cares!  I'd have to store extra tissues there anyway!  Just thought I'd share that little discovery with you today!  Can you imagine my life if I find something like this totally exciting?  LOL!

1 comment: