Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Dryer sheets and why I'm mad at my husband for buying them!!!

You may remember that I've been attempting to lessen my family's dependence on paper products. They're expensive and wasteful, to be honest.  I guess I never really said anything about this, but since I've been making my own (insanely cheap) laundry soap and (semi-homemade) fabric softener, I  have dropped the dryer sheets altogether.  Sure, I know some people make their own and I have considered it myself, but I've found that we just don't need them anymore.  Our clothes are perfectly soft, really!  They have a very subtle, clean scent that I like.

Recently, my friend gave me some of her old clothes and they were obviously freshly washed.  (Thanks, Michelle!)  I was really surprised to find the smell over-powering!  I guess when you get used to a nice soft scent, you don't realize how strong the store-bought stuff smells.

When my husband came home with this box of dryer sheets, I immediately asked him to please return them to Aldi.  I'm mean like that.  His argument was that they were only $1.99, which is a fair price.  I agreed, BUT $1.99 is.........well, $1.99 more than I have been spending and frankly, they aren't necessary anymore.  In true hubby fashion, he waited a couple of days, then couldn't find his receipt! I'm sure Aldi's would gladly take them back; we're in the place 3 or 4 times a week.  Heck, we're on a first name basis with some of the employees!  I decided I didn't want my hubby to suffer the embarrassment of taking them back (yes, he finds this demoralizing), so I broke down and used them.  They actually smell really nice.  Strong, but nice.
So, in true cheap ass frugal fashion, I decided to cut them in half.  Like you really needed a picture for that, right?
My thinking was, if I'm going to use them, I'm going to make them go as far as possible.   A half sheet gives me a nice light scent at only 1 1/4c per load.  What do you do to save paper around your home?

3 comments:

  1. That was a clever, thrifty idea you had! Sorry I don't have any neat tips to share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cut them in half too, and I take 1 cut it into 4 pieces and put the 1/4 into each of my top draws (undies, socks, tanks) so they smell nice... I also put two dryer sheets in my luggage when I go so they smell nice and I can use them if I have to do laundry on the road (I'm on the road alot)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! Thanks! Thank you for stopping by! Have a happy day!

      Delete