Saturday, June 2, 2012

Restaurant cheese dip at home!

Wayyyyyy back when we used to dine out, we loved going to a local Mexican restaurant for their cheese dip.  Having a major hankering, my son begged me to make some at home.  I wasn't sure exactly what they had in theirs, but it was worth a shot.  It turned out pretty good.  Here's what you need...
8oz Pepper Jack Cheese, shredded  ( real cheese, not a processed 'cheese product')
2T Butter
2T Flour
1C Milk

Melt the butter in a small sauce pot over low/medium-low heat.
Sprinkle in the flour, stir.
Cook for a couple of minutes to cook out the raw flour taste.  Stir constantly.
Slowly add in the milk.  I like to add a couple of tablespoons, stir to combine, add in a couple more, stir, and so on.  I find I don't get any lumps that way.  We're basically making a white sauce here.  I would normally be stirring constantly, but I needed my hand to take the picture.  Ya know, it's funny, my son never asks me WHY I have to take pix of the food I'm preparing, lol!  What will be weird is if he goes to a friend's house some day and asks their mom why they don't take pix of their food!  ;)

Turn the heat up to medium and the mixture will thicken.  Stir constantly so the bottom doesn't scorch.  
Turn heat back down to low.  You could even remove it from the heat at this point if you like.
Add in small handfuls of shredded cheese.  Stir to incorporate, making sure it's melted before adding more.
Continue until you have the flavor you like.  Mine took about half of the package shown above, or 8oz.   If you don't have pepper jack, you can always use mozzarella or cheddar and add in some salsa, green chiles or some diced (canned/pickled) jalapenos.
Your end product should look something like this, thick and creamy.  If it's too thick, you can always thin it down with some milk.
Serve it up with some tortilla chips
and you have a tasty snack!
Mmmmmmmmm, craving satisfied, kid approved, simple and frugal!
This whole batch of cheese dip AND the bag of chips cost me less than one order of cheese dip at the restaurant!  But my recipe made 3 times the amount of dip!  This makes about 1 1/2 cups, if I had to guess.  Yup, the boys polished it off in one sitting!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, so easy to make! You could also add some spinach to it too, that is what one resturant here in KC adds to their cheese dip. YUM-O.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea, Mary! I never would have thought of that. That's a great way to sneak in some veggies, too! Thanks!

      Delete