Saturday, May 26, 2012

The flatty patty angel food cake!

The other day, I realized I had two dozen eggs that were expiring in two days. Argh! Not about to waste them, I set out to find a way to use them up without having to bother freezing them.  I've never done that, but it seems kinda creepy to me for some reason.  So, I made my boys lots of eggs for breakfast for the next two days, but I still had a ton left.  So, I decided to make an angel food cake.  Here's what you'll need...
1 dozen Egg whites, room temp
1 1/2C + 2T Sugar
1C Cake Flour (I only had all purpose)
1 1/2t Cream of Tartar
1 1/2t Vanilla Extract
1/2t Almond Extract
1/4t Salt

Sift Flour, 3/4C + 2T Sugar and Cream of Tartar together, set aside.
Separate your yolks from your whites.  Do this one at a time in a ramekin that is separate from the bowl you'll be using to mix them in.  Have another bowl ready in which to deposit your yolks, too.  Trust me when I say...dump the white into the large bowl as soon as it's separated and free of yolk.  Don't do like I did and add three or four to the ramekin, get some yolk in it, but decide you can't possibly waste those 4 eggs, so pick out what you can and use them anyway and end up with a flat cake!  The fat in the yolks is the nemesis of an angel food cake! You know, there's a saying....if you can't be a good example, maybe you can be a dire warning.  Today, I'm the latter.  While it didn't affect the taste of the cake, it did affect the texture, which I actually kinda liked.  It was dense and kinda chewy, which was cool. I'm not a fan of spongy-ness.  Being on a diet, I only had one bite, but it was a good one!
Beat your egg whites until they form peaks.
Yours will hopefully be a little fluffier than mine.
Add in the rest of the sugar (3/4C), mix well.
Add in your extracts, mix well.
Slowly add in your flour mixture, a little at a time, mix well.
Pour into an UNgreased angel food cake pan.
Run a knife through the batter to break any air bubbles
Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes.  Mine took closer to 40, but that could be because it was so dense.  It came out a beautiful golden brown and smelled divine!!!
The boys thought it tasted great! My hubby ate his as strawberry "short"cake...pun intended for my-not-so-close-to-heaven little confection.  Tommy just ate his plain. 

 Here's how flat the poor little cake was, about 1/3 as high as it should have been!  You'll probably need to run a knife around the edges to loosen the cake.  Let it cool completely.  You can make a drizzle for the top, use it in a trifle, or use it as a base for strawberry shortcake.  Remember, beauty is on the inside!  
Now....what to do with those darn yolks?  How about a Gold Cake?

2 comments:

  1. Girl what where you doing with two dozen eggs? Your cake looks very delish, even if it didn't rise like it should have. Reminds me of being a little girl and watching my mom make a Angel food cake, no box mix back then for Angel food! I think there is a cake that they use to make that used up all of those egg yolks, maybe called Yellow Daffodil cake??

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are correct, Mary! I considered making that! I actually decided to make something called a Gold Cake because it just sounded a tiny bit better to me. Of course, that was silly because I'm on a diet and don't need that temptation! LOL! And you know what?!...I have no clue why I had that many eggs, lol!

    ReplyDelete