Friday, May 4, 2012

Dyeing Easter eggs without the kit


Okay, so this post is a little late, but maybe you can use it next Easter.  This year, we decided to dye eggs at home like we always do, but with products we already had on hand.  You'll need:

Hard-boiled eggs, of course
Hot water (from the boiled eggs...save it)
Vinegar
Food Coloring (I used the little dropper kind that comes in a box of 4)
Cups and spoons
Paper towels
Old Egg Carton

I used more water than I needed for boiling my eggs because I knew I wanted to recycle that water to dye my eggs!  Just pour your boiling water into your cups.
Pour in a couple of tablespoons of vinegar into each cup.
Add in a few drops of dye until you achieve the desired color.
Gently lower your eggs into the hot water using a large spoon, which I forgot to take a picture of.  You can draw on your egg with a crayon beforehand if you want a special message.
After letting egg sit in the water/dye bath for a few minutes, give it a check to see if it's to your liking.
I LOVE this one for its message!
Give your son a "Do you really think we need that on an egg?!" look when he writes AC/DC on one of the eggs!  Make a mental note that from the eyebrows to the chin, you have the exact same profile, being glad your sagging neck is accidentally covered by your hand.  Then be embarrassed that you are wearing your husband's pit-stained white undershirt in order to save your 'normal' shirt from getting dye on it, lol!
Use your old egg carton as a drying rack and voila!  You are done!
This dozen eggs cost just pennies to dye.  While the cheap little kits at the store aren't terribly expensive, I figured I still saved $2 to $3 by doing it ourselves.  The dye is more intense than those little fizzy tabs, too!

2 comments:

  1. This is how we use to do it as kids too! Now for egg recipes, lol!

    What a cute picture of you and your son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, thanks, Mary! I'm kinda partial to the little guy. ;)

    Ya know, I never thought about posting egg recipes after that! Duh! On a side note, my husband's tradition was to have the Easter Bunny hide the eggs for Tommy to find in the morning. I honestly don't remember what we did when we were young. Anyway, by the time Tommy found them in the morning, they had been out for about 10 hours and I was too afraid to do anything with them, lol!

    ReplyDelete