Monday, May 21, 2012

Simple and Cheap Pet Stain Remover

Just look at this face!  I mean, look at it!  Is this not the most adorable, squishable, loveable face you've ever seen?
Oh, my gosh, Happy is the cutest, sweetest little thing ever!  Which is a good thing since he left a lot of the stains below around the house his first week home.  Ahhhhh, the poo poo stain of a puppy with squishy little doodies!  We've mostly had pee pee accidents, but I thought I'd show you how to clean up the poo so you can see how well this stuff works.
This idea came about a while back when I was cleaning windows in the front room.  I was cleaning 'snoot marks' from Sissy off of the windows when I found an old pee pee spot beside the couch.  I swear, that dog is as dumb as a post, but we love her.  I knew we didn't have anything in our cleaning arsenal to properly remove the stain.  So I thought...ehhhhh, what the heck...I'll try my homemade Schwindex on it.  I lucked out because I didn't put any dye in it that time and it was basically clear liquid.  I spritzed it on the stain and blotted it well.  It worked!  That got me to thinking about my Schwindex recipe.  It has 1/4t of dish soap in it, which is not good to use on carpet because the soap will actually attract stains.  So, I tried an experiment and it worked, too.  Here's what you'll need:
2T Ammonia (about 1T per cup of water used)
HOT water (enough to fill your container of choice)
An old bottle
Cleaning rags
Funnel (not pictured)


Start by dumping your ammonia into your hot water.  It's helpful if you use a measuring cup so you can pour it easily into your container.  I actually heated my water in the microwave beforehand.
Use a funnel and pour it into your container.  Careful, the water is hot.
I'm using a recycled shampoo bottle.  I've decided to use my hoarded plastic bottles for either non-food items or for powdered or dry ingredients from now on.  Trying to lessen my family's exposure to BPA where ever possible. Anyway my cap has a small hole that actually worked pretty well.  I was worried about not having a sprayer, but I think I actually prefer this.  Saves a lot of hand cramping!  Yes, I AM old, thanks for asking.
Squirt a liberal amount of the solution on the offending stain.  No need to let it sit.  As a matter of fact, don't let it sit or your stain will spread.
Lay your rag on top of it and put your weight on it.  Please ignore my 10 year old, quite possibly dorky-looking sandals.  They're comfy.
And through the magic of the internet, lift your rag to reveal NO more stain!  It took a couple of treatments for the poo stain but pee stains come right up with this!  
Now my cute little honey boy can go back to being adorable on a clean floor! 
Man, that's one UGLY stuffed animal!

Notes:  
This does not make your house smell like ammonia at all.  Or pet urine.  It works really well.

Ya know, homeopathy says to treat "like with like" and this is pretty much what we did here.  Pee naturally contains (or turns into???) ammonia, and we're using ammonia.  Maybe not quite the exact rules of homeopathy, but I like to think I'm on the right path.  Now, as a disclaimer, please please please test this on a small, hidden patch of your carpet before doing it in an obvious place.  Now, on to clean up the other 17 stains!  ;)

4 comments:

  1. So Happy shared a few "presents" with you, lol! He is adorable, but I'm partial to labbies :). Good information on stains, I have a few in the basement carpet to try to remove, so will give this a try, tfs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By removing all perceptible traces of the stain, your pet will not be encouraged to continue eliminating in the same area, especially if the stain was from your pet marking his territory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that a T for tablespoon or teaspoon?

    ReplyDelete