Sunday, May 27, 2012

Gold Cake...or how to use up a dozen (or more) egg yolks

You may have read my post yesterday about needing to get rid of quite a few expiring eggs.  I ended up making a not-so-fluffy-but-great-tasting Angel food cake, but I then had a problem of too many egg yolks on my hands!  After a quick google search, I came upon a recipe for something called a Gold Cake.  Sounded good to me!  Here's what you need to make it...
1C Egg Yolks from 12 to 14 Eggs
1 1/2C White Sugar
1 3/4C Flour
3/4C Milk
3/4C Butter, softened
1t Vanilla Extract
2t Baking Powder
1/2t Salt

Preheat your oven to 350.  Grease and flour two 8-inch round pans for a traditional layered cake.  I decided to make it simple and use a bundt pan.  Why is it that I wait until it's 90 degrees outside to bake a cake?!
Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.  I just used a fork.  I'm lazy and didn't want to dirty up another utensil.
Cream butter and sugar together in a separate mixing bowl.
Add egg yolks and vanilla
and beat until fluffy.
Add in your flour in 3 separate doses.  You are going to alternate it with the milk, ending with flour...
                                                         flour, milk, flour, milk, flour.
You will add in your milk in two separate doses, alternating between doses of flour. I'm sure if you just dumped all of your flour and milk in at once, it wouldn't be the end of the world.  Or maybe it would be...bum, bum, bummmmmmm!!!
Pour into your prepared pan(s).
Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Since I used a bundt pan, it took a little longer.  OMGoodness, it smells sooooo good!  Look how purty that is!
Invert onto a plate to cool.  Frost with your frosting of choice, use a drizzle, or eat it plain!  I chose to frost it with some Simple Chocolate Buttercream Frosting .
Recipe credit: AllRecipes.com

1 comment:

  1. Another great recipe and it looks really easy to make and probably taste better then store box mix too, tfs!

    ReplyDelete