Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Stretching your fabric softener

Here's a handy dandy way to stretch your fabric softener, but still get that lovely scent you know and love.
You'll need:
Ingredients:
2C of your favorite Fab Softener
4C White Vinegar
4C+ Tap Water
A large, empty old Fab Softener bottle

Start by pouring your fabric softener into the empty bottle.  Not to be confused with stool softener, although I could use some of that.  I know, I'm gross.  The time away did nothing for my demented sense of humor, lol!  Try not to look at the crusty state of my bottle.  I said DON'T look!  Thank you!
Next, pour in your vinegar.  Did you know that if you wanted to, you could JUST use vinegar to soften your clothes?  Yup, it's true!  It does smell a little vinegary when you take the clothes out of the washer when you choose that option.  But I promise you, all vinegar-laden underwear smell nice and fresh when done in the dryer.  It's true!
And lastly, add in your water.  Depending on the size of your container, you may need to add more.  I want to think I had to add another 4C to fill it to the top.  
Now, pop on the lid tightly and give it a gently back and forth shake to mix the ingredients together.  

Notes: 
The good news about this stuff is that you only need about 1/2 a capful for the whole load, maybe even less.  It is watery, but that's okay.  When I had our washer repaired, the technician told me that he hates the commercial fabric softeners because they are wayyyy too thick and they contain a lot of FAT/OIL!  Fat and oil?!?!?  Yup!  You should have seen how disgusting that was under the fabric softener thingy when he took it apart.  It was white (which is the leftover fatty stuff once the good smelly part washes away), with a bunch of black mold under there (which is the fatty part going RANCID!!!)  Ewwwww!!!  SSSooooooo disgusting!  He suggested that when I use commercial fabric softener, to water it down 50/50.  I had been doing that, but I knew I could do it even cheaper, hence this recipe.  Now, you will see online where some people suggest using cheap hair conditioner instead of fabric softener. Don't do it.  It never emulsifies with the other ingredients, no matter how much you shake that baby.  It just floats around in little chunks.  With this recipe, I haven't even had to shake the bottle before pouring.  Comes out great every time.   Costs a fraction of what it used to and clothes still feel and smell great!

3 comments:

  1. Eww..that is gross! I'm weird, I don't use fabric softener, my skin can't breathe when it is in my clothes, so I just use one dryer sheet in the dryer, multiple times, until it has no smell left, than I use a new one. If I did use it, I would try this tip for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i thought i was the only one who does this, only i dilute the fabric softener half and half with the vinegar. i never thought of adding water, so i will have to try now. i have told many people that i do this and no one tries it, i guess people just like to throw money away. silly. i also have a he washer and since i have been adding the vinegar it doesnt smell anymore. thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, works like a charm! We don't have a high efficiency washer, but I'm so glad it's working for you!

      Delete