Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Cucumber Tomato Salad

Here's a simple recipe that is best suited to summer, really.  I made this to take to my Aunt and Uncle's house for Thanksgiving dinner because I'm on a diet and I needed something I could eat.  I'm going to show you the 'normal' version.  For the love of God, people, unless you are desperate, do NOT make the diet version like I did using Truvia.  Blech!  Normal version?  Yum!!!



You will need:
1 Large Cucumber
2 Medium Tomatoes
1/4 to 1/2 Small Red Onion
3T Red Wine Vinegar
2t Extra LIGHT Olive Oil (or other neutral flavored oil)
Not shown:  Sugar to taste (or Truvia if you're on a diet from hell like me)


Start by peeling, quartering and seeding your cuke.  Just use a spoon 
to scrape out the seeds, then you'll have no burps.  Don't waste your
hard earned street-walkin', pole-dancin' dollars on the high and mighty
English seedless cucumbers.  What a rip!  I'm convinced you're paying
the extra $2.19 for it to be wrapped in cellophane! 
Go to Aldi's!  79 cents!
 Then dice it. 
Did you know that "dicing" is used in reference to actual dice?  It's true!  
The size of a diced food should be about 1/2-3/4" square, or the size of a dice.
If you want it smaller, you would do a 'small dice'.  I know, I'm a
veritable wellspring of information.  It's the burden I bear for you people.
I like to cut each quarter into strips, then dice it.  Easier.
And lastly, mince up your onion.  I only used about a Tablespoon
in the whole salad.  Red onions are just a little too pushy, 
if you ask me!  They like to take over!
Throw it all in a container and add in 2-3T Red Wine Vinegar.  And yes,
I do realize that it's a teaspoon in the picture.  All of my Tablespoons
were dirty from doing other fancy projects that day.
 Then add in about 2t oil.  I used 1T, 
but found it a little on the oily side.
Sprinkle in your sugar and mix well.  As mentioned earlier, I used Truvia.
While it initially tasted pretty good, it quickly turned bitter as time wore on.
And by 'wearing on', I mean a few hours.
And lastly, add some salt and pepper to taste and mix well.

Cover it and throw it in the fridge for a few hours, mixing now and again to distribute the oil and vinegar.  It tends to taste better if you leave it overnight.  It's really low cal and filling if you eat a cup or two of it.  Har de har.  No really, I've done it. In the summer, I tend to add a minced garlic clove which really ups the flavor.  The only problem is, I like it so much that way, I eat a lot and then I just smell like a salami.  All day. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey, this looks good! I think I will bookmark it for summer next year, tfs!

    ReplyDelete