Wednesday, November 23, 2011

"LEFTOVER" Eggs

Here's a good way to use up your leftovers and create a healthy, protein and veggie-rich breakfast!  I hate having to throw away leftovers, but most people just don't want to eat them.  Can you blame them?  Unless it's lasagna, then they're just crazy people!  Here's what you'll need...
Ingredients for one large serving:
2 Eggs
Fat of choice (butter, oil) Not shown
Leftovers of your choice.  In my case:
Chicken hindquarter
Broccoli, fresh
Cauliflower, roasted
Onion, fresh
Yellow Pepper, fresh
Milk or cream

I like to start by adding my fat to the pan (in my case, unscented, unflavored Coconut Oil), then dumping all of my leftovers on top.  I used about 2T of each leftover.  
I forgot that I had some yellow pepper that needed to be used up, too.  So I added that in there, too.  Cook until browned.  Remember, browned food is flavorful food!
Crack your eggs into a bowl and add 2T of milk or cream.  In my case, I've used whey.  Why whey? Well, I made some homemade yogurt a few days ago and this is the why that drained off.  I totally forgot to take pix!  Probably because I assumed it would flop.  It didn't.  It was awesome!  I promise to do it the next time I make it.  I've found many places I can the whey in recipes.  To thin down homemade Ranch Dressing (also forgot to take pix), in eggs, as a treat for the dog, or in any place milk is called for.  It's very nutrient-dense and has probiotics, whatever those are, but they're good for you!
Whip that baby up good!
And pour into your veggie/meat mixture.  Be sure to add some more fat if the pan is dry.
Cook it up just like you would scrambled eggs and plop on a plate with some oven-fried bacon!  Of course, you could always add some grated cheese at the last minute, too. You're getting 1/2C of veggies, lots of protein, good fats, first thing in the morning!  If you eat a big breakfast like this one with fats and lots of protein, you will be filled up until lunch time and will notice you don't need to snack!  It's a win-win situation!

1 comment:

  1. Who knew that left-overs to make something this yummy!

    ReplyDelete