Friday, September 7, 2012

Omelettes, the easy way

I don't claim to be a chef by any stretch of the word, so when I figure out something that I find helpful, I want to share it with other struggling mamas.   During certain times of my diet, I will eat something called a Big Ass Breakfast.  Yeah, you read that right.  No, it doesn't mean this breakfast will give you a big ass, in case you're wondering, lol. It does, however, ensure that you will not be hungry the whole day, which is sometimes nice when you've got a busy day planned.  Since I make all of our meals at home, it's a nice option when I have to be away for all or part of the day.  This post isn't really about my diet so much as it is about how to make an easy omelette, but I figured someone might comment on the sheer size of the finished product.  Really...it's huge! There's a method to my madness, honestly. So let's get busy, shall we?

First of all, it helps to have an omelette pan.  I do not own one, so we'll just use our every day run-of-the-mill pan, mmm'kay?  I always start by browning some onions and bell peppers in some bacon fat, butter or coconut oil.
Turn your burner all the way to the lowest setting.  Sometimes I even take the pan off the burner for a couple of minutes if it's too hot from cooking the onions/peppers.  Combine your eggs and a dash of cream, some salt and pepper and whisk together.  Pour on top of your mixed veggies/fat in your pan.  Your burner will stay on low the whole time.
Shred some cheese on top.  Yup, I do it now, even though the eggs are not set.  Don't worry your pretty little head.  Everything will be just fine.  Deep breaths.
Here's the part where I do something a little unconventional.  I take a clean dish towel and gently lay it on top of the pan.  PLEASE be sure your pan is the right size for your burner.  In other words, don't use a small pan on a huge burner.  I can get away with draping the towel over the whole pan because I have a glass top range.  If you are using a regular electric burner, you can fold the corners of the towel in like shown.  If you are using a gas range, this may not be a good idea altogether.  Don't say I didn't warn you.
So anyway, I just leave the towel on top and check it periodically to see if the eggs are almost set.  You can tell this by shaking the pan back and forth gently.  If it's jiggly, it's not done.  If it's not jiggly, you're good to go. When your omelette is ready, slide a thin spatula around the edges to loosen it.
Then flip a third of it over to the center.  Looking good so far.
Here's where I always screw up.  Lift the other third of the omelette toward the center, breaking it in half, sending molten cheese spewing into the center of the pan!  I'm covering that up with a strategically placed spatula!  ;)
And here's the even funnier part.  If I had an omelette pan, that baby would slide right out, looking like perfection on a plate.  Instead, I have to heave the hot mess out onto a plate, usually ending up with it broken in half.  Looks gawd-awful!
But it tastes like heaven on a plate!  No burned, browned, over-cooked bottom.  Just eggy, cheesy goodness.
So, why is this towel thing any better than using a lid?  Wellllll, from what I can tell, this allows some of the moisture to escape, yet keeps the environment just moist enough to not dry out the eggs.   Any time I have used a lid, I end up with a watery mess.  If I don't use a lid, I end up with a runny mess. Now, I know with a 'real' omelette, you're supposed to tip the pan this way and that, allowing the uncooked egg to slip underneath, blah blah blah. (Or am I thinking of a crepe? LOL!)  Ehhh, who cares.  I don't have the time or the equipment for that business.  I'm going for EASY here, people.  Give it a try and let me know what you think!  Was it any easier than your prior attempts?  It was for me!

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy to me! You could use a lid, just put a paper towel under the lid to catch the excess moisture, I think it would work the same as a towel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's actually a great idea, Mary! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete