Monday, May 30, 2011

Old-Fashioned Pancakes

...Or as my son calls them, Lumber Jacks!  We made these this morning for breakfast and they were really good!  It doesn't make that big of a batch, so if you have more than 3 people in your home, you'd better double it.  This made about 12 medium sized pancakes.  If you've never made homemade pancakes before, it's so easy.  Please don't buy that expensive box of Aunt Jemima anymore!

I'm going to try something here by posting step by step pix.  Now, I know pancakes aren't that difficult, but I wanted to try it out.  Once I get some followers, you can tell me whether or not you like the step by step pix or if you feel I'm treating you like a dingbat, lol.  It sure takes a lot more having to stop and think when you're taking pix!  I can't promise I'll do it on every recipe. It depends on what I'm cooking.  I could ask my son to do it, but he moves around a lot.  We'll see.  On to the pancakes...

Ingredients:
1 1/2C Flour
3 1/2t  Baking Powder
1t Salt
1T White Sugar
1 1/4C Milk
1 Egg
3T butter, melted

If possible, try to remember to set out the milk and egg to bring to room temp. I'm not sure if this truly makes a difference, but that's what the recipe says, people!  Yes, I realize I have a Sea Salt grinder in the picture.  
I actually used regular salt, but wasn't thinking when I took the picture.  I'll catch on eventually.
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar...
Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg and melted butter...
Yes, there's milk and egg under there somewhere, but the butter overtook it.
Mix until smooth...
Heat a lightly oiled griddle, or in my case, a heavily buttered grill pan/griddle over low/med heat.  
Yes, I am actually using it on my glass-top stove. 
Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle using approximately 1/4C for each pancake, 
while attempting to take a picture of yourself doing it at the same time,
silently cursing yourself for not using a 1/4C measure.
When your (hopefully round/unlike my) pancake has little bubbly holes like this on top,
it's ready to get a suntan on the other side.  Flip over and check periodically until light golden brown.
Add a pat of butter and some warm, grossly-expired Mrs. Butterworth's syrup and you're good to go!
Or throw in a handful of fresh blueberries and make these:

Notes and What I learned from this experiment:
These were actually very good and CHEAP!  The whole batch comes to .86 cents!  That's about 7 cents/pancake!  At Village Inn, I'm fairly certain a stack of 3 cakes costs about $2.00.  That's crazy when you see how cheap and easy they truly are to make at home.  (And mine tasted better, ha ha ha ha!)   I didn't account for the cost of the syrup and the pat of butter, but still...
 
I did learn that I need to put that griddle pan on low because once cast-iron gets hot, it starts a smokin'
and burning everything in sight! Keep that baby on low and wait a little longer.

And lastly, note to self...buy some fresh syrup!
Thanks for stopping by!  If you try these, let me know how they turned out for you!
{Printer Friendly Version}

2 comments:

  1. What time did you say breakfast was tomorrow morning? Mmmmm..those look very tasty, tfs!

    ReplyDelete