Monday, May 30, 2011

Breadmaker Banana Bread

While getting out some parchment paper the other day, I saw this recipe on the package.  I thought....why not?  I'm on a baking marathon this week anyway, mostly because baking at home is one of the first ways I can think of to save money.  Sidebar: if you ever hear me say 'parch', that's parchment.  I know the rest of the world doesn't know my strange language so I thought I'd clear that up right now.  On to the recipe, which incidentally, does not call for the use of parch...

Ingredients:
2C Flour
1C Sugar
2t Baking Powder
1t Cinnamon
1/4t Nutmeg
1/4t Salt*
2 Medium or 3 Small Over-Ripe Bananas, cut into small pieces
2 Eggs
1/3C Veg Oil**
1/4C Milk
1t Vanilla Extract
1C Chopped Walnuts
Optional: 1/2C Mini Chocolate Chips***

Directions:
Dump all ingredients except Walnuts and Chips into the pan of your bread machine.
Select the Sweet Bread option on your machine and press Start.  (NOTE: I made this again today and I realized my instruction booklet says to use the Quick Bread Option for Banana Bread, not Sweet Bread.  I'm trying that to see how it comes out.  It does bake it for a lot longer with the quick bread option, so I'm a little
worried about wasting a whole pan of ingredients.  I may take it out a little early???  Will let you know hoe it turns out.
If your machine is like mine, it will mix for about 5 or 10 minutes, then beep several times, letting me know that it's okay to add the nuts and the chocolate chips.  Add them in at that time.
That's IT!  The machine does all the work for you!  When the alarm goes off and the bread is done, I let
it sit in the pan for about 20 minutes to cool down a bit before I slide it out so it's not so fragile.

If you don't have a bread machine, you can always bake the loaf in a pan at 350 for 50 to 60 minutes.

Notes and Things I learned:
*While this was a very nice-tasting Banana bread, it seemed a little flat to me.  I felt it needed a little more salt, perhaps another 1/4t.  A nice salty butter spread on top can help to curb that flatness, too.

**I used the oil as instructed, but I felt that it needed a more buttery taste to it.  Next time, I'm going to add butter instead of oil.

***I opted to leave the chocolate chips out, but I think it would actually be pretty good.

I have never had Banana Bread with cinnamon in it before!  It was really good!  As a matter of fact, I wish I had even put a little more in.

I like the bread that came out of my bread machine instead of a regular pan because you get four sides of golden brown crust instead of three!  That's my favorite part!

If you try the recipe, let me know how it comes out for you!  Have a great day!

{Printer Friendly Version}

1 comment:

  1. Haven't ever made banana bread in my bread machine, will have to try it sometime, especially with hot weather coming soon. Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete