Saturday, August 4, 2012

"Reese's" Peanut Butter Bars

Ho-leeeee cow, do NOT make these because they will RUIN your my diet!!  I know no one forced to me to eat 3 of them in one sitting, but come on!  These are sooooo goooooooood, and I'm not even a huge peanut butter fan!  I found the recipe for these at the place where all good ideas spring from....Pinterest!  Darn you, Mary, for turning me on to it!  You will pay by making these bars and gaining two pounds overnight (like I did)!!!!     ;)

Here's what you'll need for a half batch (which is really pretty decent in size)
1C Crushed Graham Crackers
1C Powdered Sugar
1 Stick Butter, melted
1/2C + 2T Creamy Peanut Butter
3/4C Chocolate Chips (see note)

Place about 6-8 graham crackers in a baggie and smash them to smitherines.  The original recipe said to put them in a food processor, but I was too lazy for that business.  I did notice that the finer the crumb, the better they seem to stay together.
Melt your butter in a bowl then add the graham cracker crumbs, the powdered sugar and 1/2C of the peanut butter.
Mix well.  Mine had the consistency of very wet sand.  The tutorial I saw online showed theirs much thicker, where they actually had to press it into a pan.  Maybe it's different when you crush the graham crackers in the food processor.
I just smeared it into a 7 x 11 pan.  You could use an 8 x 8 or a 9 x 9, too.  If you double the batch, you can use a 9 x 13.  Gosh, I'm a wealth of pertinent and useful information, a mathematical genius.
Next, place your chocolate chips and remaining 2T peanut butter in a bowl and microwave for a minute or two to melt the chips.  NOTE: I used Milk Chocolate chips because that's what my husband bought.  It was really good!  We made a 2nd batch the next day (ah-hem...what?!?) and used Semi-sweet chips.  They weren't as good, which surprised me.  On a side note, we did take one third of that first batch to our TaeKwonDo instructor.  Does that redeem me?  No?  (Hangs head in shame)
Pour over your mixture already in the pan.
And smear in an even layer with a spoon or off-set spatula.
Put in the fridge for at least one hour, then cut into bars.
Mmmmmmmm, nom nom nom.....doesn't that look awesome?
Here was Tommy's reaction when asked if they taste just like Reese's...It's a light bulb moment!
And Daddy's reaction...hmmmmm, somewhat similar?  Can you tell they are related?  LOL!  What I want to know is when my husband turned into an Archie Bunker look-alike!  Eeeeedittthhhh, you DING bat!!!!
I thought these tasted even better than Reese's.  I've always thought the chocolate they use was too sugary.  In these, the peanut butter taste is really mild.  Be careful though...they're addicting!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, a good "no heat up the house when it is 100 degrees out" recipe! Now I need to make some and I think I have everything on hand too, hubby will like that! I'm glad to be of assistance to any and all, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know what you think of them, Mary!

    ReplyDelete