Friday, September 9, 2011

Homemade Magic Shell

Do you remember that chocolatey liquid stuff you could pour on ice cream and it would harden, creating a delicious little shell?  Kinda like a dipped cone at DQ?  Well, you can make your own at home with just two ingredients!  Here's how:
Ingredients:
2T Pure Coconut Oil
1/3C Chocolate Chips (I used mini ones)

In a glass measuring cup, add the chips and coconut oil.
Pop it in the microwave for 2 minutes (I used 90% power), 
stirring every 30 seconds.  It will feel really watery at first.  Mix well.
It will thicken quickly.  Scoop out your favorite ice cream and pour on top.
It will start out shiny.  Wait about one minute and it will start to turn dull-looking.
After it's set, crack your spoon in top and eat!
Notes:  
Clearly, if you are allergic to coconut, do not make this, lol!  If you are not allergic to coconut, but don't care for the taste of coconut, this probably is not for you. It does have a nice coconutty chocolatey taste, but I think less is more with this.  The serving you see above was wayyyy too much 'magic shell'.

How does it work?  Well, coconut oil is solid at room temp, but melts at 76 degrees, I believe.
When you heat it up, it's liquid.  When it hits the cold ice cream, it goes back to solid.  And here
we thought Magic shell was, well, magic!

The bad news, coconut oil is fat.  The good news, it's a good fat as far as fat goes!  You can fry food in it, eat it as a supplement, or use it as an ingredient as above.  You can also use it as body lotion it you want to smell like a coconut all day, lol!  I tried it the other day and was surprised to find that it really didn't smell very good when first applied.  As the day went on, it smelled really good, like a day at the beach.  My son hated the smell and kept telling me to take a shower, lol!  It really made my skin so much softer than normal lotions, too.  I noticed that on my hands, my cuticles softened enough where I could push them back easily with my fingernails and they stayed soft.  My heels softened a lot, too.  The moisture seemed to stay in my skin rather than dissipate as with regular lotion.  Very interesting!

Now, coconut oil IS expensive!  The jar you see above cost about $12.  Yikes!  The good thing is that you use it sparingly and it lasts a long time.  When I put it on my body, I probably used 1/2t per leg!  And I have fat legs with lots of surface area, lol!  The above (approx 1/2c) batch of Magic Shell cost about $1 to make.  I'm assuming that's cheaper than the store-bought stuff, but I don't buy it, so I'm not sure. Either way, it was a fun and tasty experiment!


1 comment:

  1. OK, now I need to go to DQ and get a chocolate dipped cone, don't have any ice cream at home, darn it! Yes, they are finding out that coconut is actually good for us, just like coffee, go figure! You could store your magic shell in a clean, empty ketchup bottle, would really make it look magic than, LOL!

    ReplyDelete