Thursday, August 11, 2011

Dill Relish the easy way!

Being on an extremely tight budget has made me into an avid hot dog eater.  It's not that I just love hot dogs or anything.  They're affordable if you get them on sale or buy the insanely cheap ones (75c) from Aldi.  That being said, I like mustard, ketchup and relish on my dog.  I opened the fridge yesterday to find...argh!!..about 1/2t of relish left in the container!  This just won't do!

In the picture below, you can see my (cleaned) empty relish container.  I paid $1.99 for this at Bakers.  I remember this vividly because it was the cheapest one available and a lady who was grabbing one at the same time handed me one.  Funny the stupid stuff you recall.  Anyway, I thought....hmmmmmm....certainly jarred pickles could be cheaper, Yes?  No?  Maybe?  My hubby was going to Aldi anyhow, so I had him pick up a 24oz jar of dill spears for $1.49.   Then I put on my lab coat and goggles and conducted my experiment! Ha ha ha ha, said the evil condiment scientist!
The pickle jar has 12 spears in it.  I started by cutting 4 of them into
little chunks and dropping them into my mini food processor.  Interestingly,
I recall where and when I got this as well.  (It was my bridal shower by a gal named C***)
But I can't recall what I had for breakfast.  Old age is funny like that, lol!
I hit Low and away they went!  Turns out 4 wasn't enough, so
I ended up using 8.  I did not add any juice though.  Looks like relish to me!
I then took a funnel and poured the mixture into my cleaned container.
I had to use the handle of my small spatula to smash it in there.
And lookee heeyuh!  We have a brand spankin' new container of 
relish for only $1.00!  Half the price of the original!  Yayyy!  Success!
Funny what you can make (and save) with just a little prep work!
The only drawback?  Yellow fingernails...ewwwwwwww!
Notes:
Since I used 2/3 of a $1.49 jar of pickles, this came to only $1.00!  That makes me happy!  Funny how much we pay for convenience!  I'm sure if you had your own garden (I don't yet) and made your own pickles, you could make this for pennies!  For me, I'm happy to save half right now!  Try it yourself!  What kids of things do you buy that you could easily make?  It's so much more fun shopping at the grocery store when you seldom have to go down any aisles because you say to yourself as you look down each one...hhmmmmm, bread, nope, I can make that.  Uhhhhh, pepperoni?  Nope, I can make that.  Uhhhhhh, tortillas?  Nope, I can make that!  Laundry detergent?  Windex?  Nope and nope!  It's shocking, really.  Of course, this isn't truly homemade, but it is a money saver!

Update:  I had some today on ...you guessed it...a hot dog.  It tasted okay to me, but it seems to be lacking something...perhaps a little pinch of sugar.  I read the back of the container and it appears they add some dehydrated red bell pepper.  I don't have any, nor do I plan on making any, so I'll live with it.  It's not that different.  I just expected it to be exactly the same.  That's what I get for being a know-it-all.  :)

1 comment:

  1. This is good to know. I usually only have sweet pickle relish in the house, now I can make dill pickle relish when I need some, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete