Friday, November 23, 2012

Fried Cheese Sticks

I keep forgetting to take pix of my ingredients. Sorry about that!  Well, these are so simple, you can remember the list.  All that is needed is:

Egg Roll Wrappers
Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
Oil for frying
Marinara, if desired

Start by wrapping a cheese stick up in an egg roll wrapper.  Start at the bottom corner and roll half way up.  Fold in the sides, then continue wrapping the rest of the way. Wet the edges to seal.
Heat your oil up in a pan. I just kept it shallow, but really should have gone a little deeper with it.  As you can see in the next pic, the cheese didn't quite get melty enough.
Turn every minute or so until they are browned on all sides.  Drain on paper towels.  Serve up with some marinara.
I decided to make a little treat with some of the leftover wrappers by cutting them up and frying them.  I sprinkled some with powdered sugar and some with cinnamon/sugar.
Notes:
1) Use at least 1" grease or your cheese won't melt properly.
2) If I made these again, I'd use Lumpia wrappers.  They are thinner and crispier.  These didn't get cooked all the way through and were kind of gummy/chewy/flour-y.  My hubby and my son loved them anyway.  

1 comment: